Chapter 26 - "I can not go with you."

Wrapped in her silk robe, Gigi paced before her bedroom door, waiting. The sun had gone from the sky, a silvery moon and a splattering of stars taking its place. The summer air was thick with the laughter of the ball happening downstairs. Past the noise, Gigi could hear the celebration of the city. She didn't know if it was her imagination or longing that made the sound seem louder than the previous night.

Spinning around, she walked in the opposite direction, her slippers pattering over the carpet. A knock came. She paused and moved to the door. On the other side was Davin. His eyebrows went up as he took in her appearance.

"I fear I must warn you that attending balls dressed as you are is not approved of," he said.

Gigi offered him a fleeting smile.

"I am afraid, Davin you must find someone else to escort tonight," she said. "I do not feel well and can not attend."

Davin paused, inspecting her face that showed no signs of illness. Nodding, he took a step back.

"Rest well, Lady," he said.

Before Gigi could shut the door, he spoke again.

"Do not let this world make you hide," he said.

She met his gaze and saw a look of silent encouragement.

"I will remember your words," she said. "Thank you."

Davin left as Gigi closed the door. She moved to the balcony and listened to the conflicting sounds of the night. A structured song rolled out in waves from the palace while notes were chased by instruments passed the wall. Letting out a sigh, Gigi hugged herself staring at the glowing city. The sight played with her heart and called to her. She was lost in her plans when another knock sounded.

Margo emerged from the bathroom and answered.

"Where is Genevieve?" Lady Brixton asked.

Gigi paled, worried that somehow her thoughts had been heard. Her grandmother strode into the room followed by her husband. Knowing she must face them, Gigi walked back inside.

"Genevieve," her grandfather said. "Lord Davin did not arrive with you and we wondered where you were."

"I am not feeling well and wished to rest for the night. I do not want to miss the last three days of the Festival."

Lady Brixton studied Gigi, taking in her colorless face.

"You do seem pale, dear. I hope it is nothing serious," she said.

Gigi shook her head. "I do not believe so. Rest is all I need."

Her grandparents scrutinized her. Unable to hold the weight of their looks, she dropped her gaze. With one final look, her grandmother shifted to Lord Brixton.

"We should be going," she said. "Genevieve, we will send the healer to you tomorrow. Rest well."

"I will," Gigi said.

After they were gone, she returned to the balcony. The night was warm and the scent of cooking food wafted from some below. Margo walked to her.

"Is there anything you wish from me, Lady?" she asked.

Turning, Gigi smiled at her. "There is. Do you have my clothes I arrived in?"

Margo looked hesitant. "I do not. They remained at Lord Brixton's Estate."

Frowning, Gigi thought, then her gaze slid to Margo.

"Do you own a skirt and shirt, something you wear out of the palace?"