Chapter 28

That one evening with Dominic seemed to have put me on edge.

I hadn't been able to have the incident slip from my mind. Playing games with Ammonal and the others, running, strumming on my guitar or even hanging out with my basketball buds. Nothing worked. The only thing on my mind was Dominic's forehead on mine, his breath fanning my face and the fact that we were a nanosecond away from kissing each other.

The weekend full of constant thoughts about a certain brunette had come to an end and dreaded Monday came rolling around.

At two AM a cigarette was between my lips. I couldn't care less that a pair of basketball shorts were hardly enough to cover my skin from the chilly wind that came through my window.

Sitting on my window frame while destroying my lungs had become a bad habit nowadays. I only imagined Mom finding out- or coach. Mom would beat me up and coach would quite literally murder me and feed my corpse to some dogs.

I shuddered.

The bags under my eyes didn't fail to show just how late I was up last night. I stared at my face in the window's reflection for a moment before moving along with my daily routine. My body moved on its own really, all I tried to do was not think about Dominic's skin on mine.

It wasn't easy.

"Bye, Mom." I called out without waiting for an answer. The late January breeze made me zip up my jacket all the way.

The trip to school was as usual, over in seconds. Zoning out made everything appear to go faster, three years to early I was already by my locker. I was even early too. Only a handful of students chatted along the dull walls.

I should be thinking about other things. My math test, our soon to be basketball match, how I'm going to walk Scouter later today or just something. Something other than dark chocolate hair and eyes that made my mind spin.

Even holding my math books made me think about him and our nonexistent session of tutoring.

With a sigh so heavy someone could believe the world was counting on me, I closed my locker door and headed for the stadium outside. It's been a while since I sat under the bleachers and I had some time to kill. Not even Evan was here and he's usually here before everyone.

The clocks had turned into sloths and I just wanted this day to be over already. It hasn't even started yet.

Our school has a football and American football teams. One of the few reasons why I like this school, you have three big sports options to choose from and all teams are pretty strong. Sometimes I just wanted to be alone, and when you want to be alone the one place you should go to is dark bleachers on a cold day.

So, that's what I did.

Although, I was met with a surprise as I ducked my head under the seats. At that moment I wanted to roll my eyes so much so that they got lost somewhere in my head. Of-fucking-course.

Dominic sat with his nose in a book that I didn't even bother to see the title of, with his head leaned against a pole. He was slumped down with his knees propped up and he didn't seem to notice me go nearby, or maybe he just didn't pay me any mind.

I could still turn back. I could still just wait around in some hallway somewhere and try not to care that I would look like a total loner.

Despite a part of me screaming to walk away, another part was roaring that I should stay. I didn't want to make this even more awkward, having Dominic know that I was avoiding him would only make the air around us even more heavy.

Might as well face it head on. And by head on I mean sit approximately five poles away from the guy and put in my earphones. I scrolled on my phone, my eyes looking through the various songs. I searched for the loudest one and then stared down on my lap.