13: Make Ups

"Hi! It's Jane, right? Ah, always loved that name

"Hi! It's Jane, right? Ah, always loved that name. Jane." Mal said as soon as she and Gigi entered the bathroom, Maddie not far behind.

"That's cool." Jane said, though she didn't seem enthusiastic to see Mal, and was eager to leave.

"Don't go!" Mal said. Jane took it as an order, and it had come out rather harshly so Gigi took the reigns.

"I guess we were just kind of hoping to make a friend. You probably have all the friends you need though, huh?" Gigi said in a much softer tone than Mal, who elbowed her in the side.

"Hardly." Jane said, sadness evident in her tone, looking down at the floor.

"Really? I mean, with your mom being fairy godmother and headmistress?" Gigi asked as Jane shook her head.

"I mean, not to mention your own, um... personality." Mal added, wanting to take the control away from Gigi.

"I'd rather be pretty." Jane said, looking at both the girls in envy. Assessing their bold leather outfits and colorful hair. "You've got great hair. Both of you."

"You know what? I have just the thing for that." Mal said, pulling out he spell book and flipping through her spell book. "It's right... Ah, here." Mal tapped her finger on the page. "Beware, forswear, replace the old with brand new hair."

"Oh, ah, ah!" Jane said as Mal flicked her finger from side to side, moving Jane's head from one side to the other and then up and down.

"Wow! You almost don't notice your... Other features anymore." Mal said, making her comment sound like a compliment, even if it didn't sound like one.

"Do my nose!" Jane said, tapping her nose and Mal's book.

"Oh, I can't." Mal said with false sympathy. "I've been practicing, but you know, I can't do really big magic." Mal made a gesture with her hands.

"Not like your mom with her wand." Gigi piped up, earning a glare from Mal.

"I mean, one swoosh from that thing and you could probably have whatever features you wanted." Mal finished, wrapping an arm around her shoulder.

"She doesn't use the wand anymore." Jane said in disappointment. "She believes the real magic is in the books. And not the spell books, regular books with history and stuff."

"What a rip." Gigi said.

"Yeah." Jane agreed.

"You know, she used magic on Cinderella, who wasn't even her real daughter." Gigi pointed out. Mal nodded, liking where this was going.

"Doesn't she love you?" Mal asked, looking at Jane with false sympathy.

"Well, of course she does. It's... It's just, you know, tough love. "Work on the inside, not the outside." You know, that sort of thing." Jane said, looking down.