15: Oh Ben

"Mom said, "If a boy can't see the beauty within", then he's not worth it

"Mom said, "If a boy can't see the beauty within", then he's not worth it." Can you believe it? What world does she live in?" Jane vented as she had told them of her failed attempt of using her mother's wand.

"Auradon." Mal said, not bothering to look up from her homework.

"It's alright Jane." Gigi said. "You'll be Fine."

"Mal, do you like?" Evie said, holding up her latest creation.

"Yeah. It's cute. It brings out your eyes." Mal said, still not looking up from her homework.

"I know." Evie said, holding it to her chest. "I made one for Sam too. So we could match. But you know I don't think I'll be able to give it to her."

"I'll never get a boyfriend." Jane said, flipping on Evie's bed. "Whose Sam?"

"Boyfriends are overrated." Mal said. "Sam would tell you that much."

"And how would you know, Mal? You've never had one." Evie said, price in her statement.

"It's 'cause I don't need one, E." Mal retorted. "They're a waste of time."

Evie gasped, leaving her work station and scurrying to her bed. "I forgot to do Chad's homework! Oh, no! Oh, no, no, no."

"And that is exactly what I mean." Mal said, raising an eyebrow at Evie.

"Whose Sam?" Jane asked again.

"Oh Evie's half sister." Maddie said.

"That she didn't say goodbye to when we left the Isle." Gigi supplied.

"And knowing Sam, she'd honestly kill Evie if she saw her again." Mal said as Jane's eyes widened.

"Hey, guys! I'm Lonnie." The Vks stared at her blankly. "My mom's Mulan? No? Anyways, I love what you've done with Jane's hair. And I know you hate us, and, well, you're evil. But do you think you could do mine?"

"Why would I do that for you?" Mal said with a scoff.

"I'll pay you 50 dollars." Lonnie said, shaking her bag of coins.

"Good answer. I need to buy more material. Let's see, I'm thinking, we lose the bangs, maybe some layers and some highlights." Evie rambled, taking the bag from Lonnie.

"Yeah, yeah. I want it cool. Like Mal's." Lonnie said.

"Really?" Mal asked, an eyebrow quirked.

"The split ends, too?" Evie said, sarcastically,

"Okay..." Mal said, flipping through her spell book, "Beware, forswear, replace the old with cool hair."

Lonnie's hair shimmered as it transformed into a new style, growing longer.

"I know. I know." Evie said, holding Lonnie's shoulder as she glanced into the mirror. "It looks like a mop on your head. You know what? Let's cut it off, layer it..."

"No, no, no, no, no, no! I love it." Lonnie said, beaming.

"You do?" Evie asked in disbelief.

"It's just..." Lonnie paused, ripping her dress. "Now I'm cool."

"Like ice." Mal agreed.

Jane followed Lonnie's example, rolling her dress, before covering her mouth with her hands. "What did I just do? Mom's gonna kill me!"

⇆♤♢♧♡⇋

"Yo-ho-ho!" Jay said, flaunting his Tourney Jersey.

"Hey!" Carlos said.

"Good for you." Gigi said as she stuck her tongue at Jay, whose smirk faltered a bit.

"Did your plan work with Jane? Are you going over to see the wand?" Jay asked, looking down at Mal as he leaned against the bed frame.

"Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in this book. If I hadn't completely struck out?" Mal snapped.

"Oh, someone's in a bad mood." Jay said, backing away.

"My mom's counting on me! I can't let her down!" Mal said, her voice rising.

"We can do this..."  Jay paused, choosing his words carefully. "If we stick together."

Maddie and the others nodded.

"And we won't go back until we do. Because we're rotten..." Mal said.

"To the core." The others finished.

"Oh, yeah. I found out that fairy godmother blesses Ben with the wand at coronation and we all get to go. I have nothing to wear, of course." Evie said as they looked at her in disbelief. "What?"

"Hold that thought." Mal said, answering the knock on her door.

"Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today." Ben said, though he had. "I was just wondering If you had any questions or anything... That... you needed..."

"Not that I know of." Mal said, looking back at her friends.

"Okay. All right. Well, uh, If you need anything, just, uh..." Ben said, turning away.

"Oh, wait! Um, is it true that we all get to go to your coronation?" Mal asked.

"Yeah, the whole school goes." Ben said.

"Wow. That is beyond exciting." Mal said as Ben smiled. "Do you think that It's a possibility that the four of us could stand in the front row next to the Fairy Godmother, just so we could soak up all that goodness?"

"I wish you could. Up front It's just me, my folks, and my girlfriend." Ben said.

"And your girlfriend?" Mal repeated.

"Yeah. I'm sorry." Ben said.

"Okay. Thanks, bye." Mal said shutting the door.

"Oh, but, no, there's plenty of..." Ben paused as the door, slammed in his face.

"I think It's time that Bennyboo got himself a new girlfriend. And I need a love spell." Mal said, as Gigi tossed her her spell book.

"I gotta go." Maddie said. "See you later."

"Bye Maddie." They called as she exited the dorm room.

"Oh Ben." Maddie muttered. "Look what you got yourself into."