Chapter 20

Hey guys! 

Above is another song that reminds me of His Flower! Check it out!

I'm going to be away all weekend for a friend's birthday so I won't be able to write or update until next week, I'm sorry!

Please comment, vote, and follow!

Sorry for any grammar and editing mistakes!

Enjoy!

-&-

Chapter 20

       The large stadium lights suddenly flashed twice in some sort of signal, and then cheering roared around us as engines flared to life and cars started moving towards the roundabout. I couldn't stop the excitement that suddenly flared in my chest. I wasn't a car expert, but there was still something really cool about seeing a bunch of sports-y looking vehicles standing side by side.

       I looked around almost desperately for that familiar convertible as I sat on the tailgate of the Dimajio's truck, that happy bubble filling my chest when I saw Rex's car waiting in a row with about ten others on the dirt. Then I saw the girls swimming in between those cars and that bubble popped.

       They were all in booty shorts or super tiny skirts and crop tops, some wore skin-tight pants and bra-like tanks. I suddenly felt ridiculously inferior as I glanced down at my yoga pants and the large sweater I wore underneath Rex's jacket. Those girls turned every guys attention they walked past, and even though I couldn't see Rex, I wasn't stupid enough to think he wasn't watching them either.

       Rex was the most gorgeous boy I had ever met, and those girls, the pretty, sexy ones were more in his league. God Rose, you're just friends anyway. You need to stop thinking he would want anything more. You know you're broken.

       "This isn't really a hobby for him, by the way." Trey admitted a moment later as those engines all started revving. I had to tear my eyes away from the racers to glance over at the man/boy sitting casually besides me.

       "It's not?"

       "I mean, it is, but he uses it for more than that. It's like- it's hard to explain." He sighed as the twins finally settled down enough to watch the race. "He uses it as an award system, I guess that's the best way to describe it."

        I tore my gaze from Trey as all the cars moved forward a few feet then stopped again. "An award system?" I saw him give me a sheepish smile out of the corner of my eye, like he suddenly realized he wasn't supposed to be telling me this but was going to anyway.

       "Yeah, Rex can get money any time he wants, so the winnings aren't really an award for him him. It's the things he assumes he can't get whenever that he uses the track for. Things he doesn't think he deserves." He paused then and reached up to run a heavy hand through his sand colored hair much like how Rex usually did.

       "If Rex wants whatever it is bad enough he'll race himself for it. If he wins, he believes he deserves it then. If he loses... Well, it's the opposite."

       "That's..." I started softly, unsurely even as those girls from before started ushering off the dirty roundabout.

       "Sad. It's sad that he thinks he has to race himself for the things he wants." Trey grumbled from beside me, his eyes dropping to the half-empty beer bottle in his hands.

       I was going to say interesting. It was something I would do, sounded a lot like bets I've made with myself before I came home. "What has he raced for before?" I asked instead of voicing my thoughts and smiled up at Brett as he handed me the back of chips he finally stole from Denton.