LIX

Never was a girl with a wicked mind
But everything looks better when the sun goes down
I had everything
Opportunities for eternity
~ The Pretty Reckless, Make Me Wanna Die

I push myself harder as I lift the weight above my head and over my knees before returning to my back, then do it all over again.

The gym is eerie quiet even for the holidays, the only other person in the room an older woman who is running like there is a herd of zombies behind her.

I finish the set and set the medicine ball down beside me before reaching for my water bottle.

It feels good to be at the gym, it feels healthy.

I couldn't sleep from the time difference and had decided to go to the gym, something I haven't done in a while.

Something I have missed.

The music stops filtering through my beats as my phones buzzes beside my mat.

I slip the beats off my head and around my neck to see Isla's stupid photo replacing my normally black lock screen.

Why did she insist on using the photo where we both have double chins, face masks on, and a bottle of wine in each hand?

"Yes?" I answer her before she can say anything.

"You're actually up, I thought I would be waking you up. What are you doing, you're really breathing heavily?"

"I'm at the gym." I push myself off the mat and grab some wipes from the side to start cleaning my sweat from it.

"It's six in the morning, are you crazy?" Isla practically yells at me, causing me to roll my eyes.

God is she overdramatic.

I don't know how Kyle can deal with her.

"You're up too."

"Yes, but that is because I woke up in a panic, realizing I have nothing to wear to the biggest party of the year and the last party of the year, held at the best club in Los Angeles."

"Right. So, how do I fit into this phone call?" I really wonder some days why I let her stop and talk to me on that fateful day.

Maybe because of the cute dog.

"Because we need to go shopping, keep up Av." I roll my eyes at her and wave to the lady at the desk as I make my way to the locker room.

"I don't need to buy a dress, I'll just pull out a dress from my closet." Isla gasps at me, causing me to roll my eyes again.

If Kai's mom could see me now, she would tell me they will be stuck like that for the rest of my life.

She probably isn't wrong, especially with Isla around.

"Please? This the first holiday I will be spending with Kyle and our first public outing as a couple." Isla's family had come to visit while Kyle and Devon had left for Chicago for Christmas, the only ones who stayed were Lucas and Erik.

"Fine, meet me at my apartment in 30 minutes," I grumble into the phone.

I can understand why Isla was freaking out over the outfit. I just hope one day I'll feel that way.

I sigh as I take a seat on the bench, thinking about tonight and how stressful it will be.

Will I find someone to kiss at midnight or will I be one of the ones standing there awkwardly as everyone around them makes out?

I shrug the idea off and get ready to head back to my apartment, as Isla will probably already be there by the time I get there.

It takes me about fifteen minutes to walk back to the apartment from the gym thanks to the silence of the holidays and the early morning mood.

I smile as I see Isla standing beside my door, still dressed her in PJs with a tote bag hanging off her shoulder, her red curls thrown messily in a bun and not an ounce of makeup decorating her porcelain skin.

"Good morning sleepy head." I comment as I unlock the door and let her into the apartment, "why don't you take a nap while I have a shower and then we can have some breakfast before we get ready to leave."

Isla just nods her head at me before making a beeline for my bed, "thank you Av!"

I shake my head at her and head to the bathroom, more than ready to peel the sweat glued gym attire from my body.

The hot water hits my sticky skin and I instantly feel better.

I wonder if Erik will be there or if he will avoid it? Maybe he'll be out fucking some fangirl or that hoe I keep hearing about and have no right to be jealous of, but I am.

I take a deep breath, trying to calm myself. I have no right to be worked up.

What we had was nothing.

Sadness courses through my heart at the thought of us being nothing, I want us to be something.

I want to wake up and see his face, see him actually sleeping, tracing every tattoo and touching the intimate ones once again.

I shake my head trying to clear all the thoughts from my head, all the thoughts of things I want to do...

No, he made it obvious that we are done.

I step out of the shower and into a fluffy towel, trying to stay warm before I will have to make a run to the closet in my room without freezing.

I slip into a grey knitted sweater before grabbing my maroon overalls, happy with the look.

Shoes later.

I move to the bed to shake Isla awake as she starts to drool on my pillow.

The girl can fall asleep anywhere and I mean anywhere.

"Get up or no coffee," I say silently in her ear and like that she is up.

She may be able to fall asleep anywhere but she is a light sleeper.

"Rude."

"Got you up." I smile cheekily at her, "take your time, I'm going to make us some oatmeal."

I get started on cutting fresh berries and strawberries for our oatmeal as the water boils in the kettle, we have time so no microwave oatmeal this morning.

"How does this look?" Isla comes out in tights with an oversize sweater and distressed jean jacket, "too casual?"

"You look good plus we are just going shopping."

"I know I know, I'm just a lot more self-conscious about the way I dress in case people recognize me because of Kyle." Isla looks down as she fidgets with her sweater, "I see the comments about other girlfriends and I don't know if I can handle some of them."

"Isla, you will be okay, just ignore them and live your life the way you want, stop worrying about what other people think about you. It can destroy you." I stare at her as she puts on a strong face.

"They are just jealous."

"As they should be, now come on let's eat so we can get you a hot ass outfit for tonight."

I try and listen to Isla ramble on as we try to enjoy our morning together, but I keep wondering if Erik will be there tonight. He was invited and he did tell me he enjoys NYE parties once when we were laying on the bus floor, listening to the world speed by.

"Avril?"

"Huh?"

"Are you okay?" Isla has a concerned look on her face as she stares at me.

"Do you think Erik will be there tonight?"

"No, he told Kyle he wasn't going out."

"Okay."

God, I hope she's right.

I hope she's wrong.

Edited by GirlReader133