Chapter Six

Chapter Six

The room is silent as the cadence of Aramis's tale fades away. His eyes are hooded, glazed with distant memories. The sisters allow a curious glance to transfer between them. The story only adds more questions that are in want of answers, now a heaping pile that continues to grow. Both ache to know more but do not speak. They do not want to break the silent spell that Aramis has cast.

"What a sad, sad story," Teddy intones dreamily. He pushed his glasses up on his nose. The trance is broken. The silence cannot be recreated.

"What happened to the two drifters?" Lorelle asks curiously as Leandra eyes Aramis's bare belt knowingly, but he draws back, receding into himself.

"No one knows," he says quietly.

"I'm sure they're doing the best they can," Leandra offers up, for some reason needing to mend this man's melancholy. He nods, briefly holding her gaze. She smiles slightly. Teddy stand heavily, wringing his legs out.

"Yes, as we all are," he agrees. "Now I -" A loud groan sounds from the end of the hall. All their eyes light up with anticipation and fear. They all jump but Aramis, who remains impassively calm. The sisters shrink into themselves, huddling closer. "Oy!" Teddy shrieks, flinging his hand up to his heart. His glasses are nearly thrown from the bridge of his nose. Loud footsteps echo in the stilled air.

"Aramis! Theodore!" It is Drakkor. He has finally emerged from his chamber. Lorelle wonders if Syd is all right. She hopes he has not been harmed.

"Come on," Aramis says gently, holding his hand out and drawing Leandra to her feet. Lorelle grips her sister's arm tightly.

"He's really not that bad," Teddy assures, although sweat has broken out across his forehead.

"Maren, bring them!" Drakkor yells. As if on cue, sharp fingers latch onto Lorelle's shoulders from behind. She did not even know the girls was there. A shrill shriek escape from her lips. She screams directly into Leandra's ear.

"I told you," Teddy says apologetically. "She is quite stealthy."

"Not so rough," Aramis chastises as the girls are drug down the stone hall and slung in front of Drakkor. Teddy scurries to keep up. Behind them, Maren speaks to Aramis.

"A story teller now, eh?"

"Just trying to pass the time," Aramis replies.

Drakkor paces heavily in front of them, a dark blue cloak flung sporadically over his shoulders. His feet are pale and bare, light green colors clinging to the flesh beneath his toenails. Syd is cupped beneath his arm and is roughly thrown before them. The book opens and coughs once. Lorelle's teeth clamp shut tightly. She hopes no pages have fallen out.

"You've written of the Five Relics." Drakkor stops pacing and stares down at the sisters with cruel eyes. His breath comes out in short, edgy blows. His snowy hair stands up as if he has tugged at it in his impatience.

"Yes," Leandra says carefully, Lorelle buries her head in her sister's hair.

"Yet I do not find where they are. There are only words of the star and how they came to be!" His voice rises shrilly at the end.

"We have yet to make it that far," Leandra points out.

"You could have told me!"

"You did not give us a choice!" Somehow she is drawing strength to face the mage point blank, perhaps it is Lorelle who she is gaining it from.

"I need those relics!" He stomps his foot like a child who has not got his way. His eyes are wild, tinged with red as if he has been crying or awake for all hours of the night.