xxxv. sweet sorrow

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

ALTHOUGH JUNE WAS PANICKING INTERNALLY ABOUT BELLAMY'S SAFETY, SHE HELPS IN LOWERING BELLAMY ON THE ROPE THEY HAD MADE OUT OF SCRAP AND SEAT BELTS. She had the red strap wrapped around her right arm, feeling it burn as it rubbed at her skin, but managing to keep it steady as she slowly allowed him to be brought further down the other side of the cliff. June wasn't going to let him fall to his death as Sterling had. This time, the group was ready, even Murphy, who was the closest to the edge. She could hear Mel's cries grow louder as Bellamy got closer, encouraging her in promises that he wouldn't drop her to hold onto him.

When the new weight at the end of the rope hangs, June grits her teeth. Her muscles in her arm are straining, struggling to keep her clutch tight enough. "I got her!" Bellamy's shout echoed up to them. "Pull us up!" Digging her boots into the ground, June kept herself from skidding as she pulled the rope back.

"Don't you worry, Bellamy," Murphy called down to him. June was sure he was grinning by the smugness in his voice, despite the tension. "I won't drop you." She rolled her eyes.

"Just pull, Murphy!" Finn exclaimed in agitation as he heaved the rope back.

The feeling of the rope tightening from weaving on June's arm was painful, but she was able to keep more of a grip in doing so. She ignored the scream in her muscles, pulling hard with each step back she took, only able to picture Sterling fall to his death and not wanting Bellamy to suffer the same fate. It was much more difficult to heave Bellamy and Mel up than it was to just drop him down, but no one on the rope paused. June wasn't sure how far up they were yet, if they were getting any closer to the edge, but she didn't have a minute to dwell on it when everything went wrong.

Suddenly, the clip between Murphy and Finn broke and split in two. Murphy grunts as June lets out a shout of surprise, the impact sending her falling back and sprawling on her butt. The rope she was holding was useless, she realized when she shot back up to see Murphy was struggling to hold both sides, his feet sliding with the weight hanging off the cliff. "A little help!" He shouted in strain.

Shaking off the force, June pulls herself up and races to grab the short end Murphy was fighting to keep a hold of. She slid back, dust flying from her boots skidding down. Finn was the next one there, grabbing it quickly and wincing as he tugged it back, Monroe right behind him. Once the four are back on the rope, Murphy releases the useless one that's tied to the stump. "What the hell is happening up there?!" Bellamy demanded from where he hung.

"A party!" June shouted back through gritted teeth sarcastically. "Just hang on!"

June nearly jumps out of her skin, feeling the belt slide against her skin as an arrow lodges in the ground only centimeters from her right leg. More follow in suit, whistling sounds in the air as they land, flying over June's head or landing around her. She struggled to hold on, her heart racing in her chest and her blood pumping with adrenaline so loud, the sound blowing in her ears.