xxxviii. leave or die

ONCE THEIR JOB AT MOUNT WEATHER WAS DONE AND THEY RETURNED HOME, THEY HAD A NEW SURPRISE

ONCE THEIR JOB AT MOUNT WEATHER WAS DONE AND THEY RETURNED HOME, THEY HAD A NEW SURPRISE. Jaha had returned, bloodied and beaten, delivering a message from the Commander.

Leave or die.

It washed a fear over the camp June could practically feel. They tried to keep it between the Chancellor and higher up guards, but it spread through like wildfire. She couldn't deny that she was equally scared, having been holding the threat of the grounders on her shoulders since her first day on Earth, but she didn't show it. She knew leaving wasn't an option. Everyone of June's friends were in Mount Weather, and they still didn't have a perfect plan to get them out yet. If they wasted any more time, there wouldn't be anyone left to save, according to Clarke, and she wasn't about to let that happen.

"They're not attacking yet," Clarke desperately told Jaha and her mother. "Which means we still have time."

"We have two hours until dawn," Abby countered, hands on her hips, using the time Jaha gave her.

"Let me talk with the Commander," Clarke pleaded. "She was Anya's second. Maybe she'll listen."

Although June wanted to stay just as much as Clarke, she shook her head, unsure. "You don't think the Commander is actually lenient, do you?" She asked.

"Maybe, maybe not," Clarke replied. "It's worth a shot."

Wrinkles from Jaha's frustration formed on his forehead. "We don't even know if the Commander is here," he said. Besides the bruises and blood, he looks like what June remembered in The Ark. His beard which had been a stubble is longer now, but there's a much more tired look on his face, clear from the deep bags under his eyes.

"Yes, we do. Nyko told us," Finn interrupted from where he was pacing. "You have to at least let her try."

Ignoring him, Jaha turned to Abby. "Abby, we're wasting time," he said sharply. "Give me the authority now."

Abby held her hand up, silencing him. "Hold on. Clarke, you said that Lincoln is going through withdrawal."

"Withdrawal?" June repeated, knowing there was no real drug on Earth, or so she thought. "From what?"

"We aren't sure," Abby answered. "Which is why this is too dangerous. The detox alone could kill him."

"That's where you come in," Clarke said calmly to Abby.

Taken off guard, Abby's eyebrows raised. June could see how nervous she was by giving the pressure of saving the one man that would stop this coming war. "And if I can't save him?" She demands.

A determined look crossed Clarke's features. "That's not an option," she responded firmly.

"We are risking everything on a bluff?" Jaha asked, incredulous. "Abby, we have an out. We have a way to save the lives of our people."