xliv. monster

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

GROUNDER CLOTHING IS MUCH DIFFERENT THAN WHAT JUNE HAD BEEN WEARING. She had ditched her delinquent's jacket and boots for heavier garments, wearing a pair of very worn through clothing along with high boots that were long enough to reach her knees. Her blonde hair was pulled back, tight cornrows on each side of her head leading to one long twist. Bellamy is in the same state, only having more layered armor on. June wondered for a moment how well her disguise would work, thinking maybe Mount Weather didn't take teenage grounders, before remembering Jasper's message and how they were holding her friends hostage. They didn't give a damn about age, only wanted a blood supply.

Even Lincoln was undercover, having put on his red reaper clothing with chains. He was crouched in front of a deer he had speared, hand dug into the animal's chest before pulling them back. June feels her stomach twist as she watched him smear the mild liquid over his face and neck, but she doesn't question it. Bellamy crouched beside him, tugging June down with him. "Okay, so we make it to the intake door without any of the real reapers seeing us," he estimated before asking. "What happens then?"

"I kill everyone and you two slip inside," Lincoln deadpanned simply. June raised her eyebrows, seeing many flaws in that plan, but trusting how confident he was. Lincoln held his hand out, palm up. "Limestone." June nods, pulling the small blue bag that hung on her belt and dropped it in his hand. Lincoln dipped three fingers inside, covering them in white before drawing them down from his forehead to his jaw, leaving three white streaks. "Let's go," he said once he was finished. "We got a lot of ground to cover before dark."

"We can't discuss this amazing plan any further?" June questioned pointedly, straightening her knees as he and Bellamy rose.

Bellamy nodded. "We should know what happens beyond the intake door," he added.

Suddenly, Lincoln froze, like he was thinking back to a bad memory. "They remove your clothes," he finally answered to began with. "Blast you with warm water and douse you with something that burns even worse. Then we were sorted. The others were tagged Harvest. I was tagged Cerberus and turned into a reaper." June clenches her fists, fighting back a shudder, knowing what she was about to endure was going to be much worse than he described.

"Cerberus," Bellamy repeated with a thoughtful expression. "The three-headed dog who guards the underworld."

June smiled. "Nerd," she whispered teasingly.

Squinting at June for a minute, Bellamy shook his head. "My mom read mythology to us all the time," he explained. "Octavia loved it." The sound of his sister's name made Lincoln smile, having June see the fondness despite the rough mask. "You're good for her," Bellamy continued. "You made her strong."

"She was already strong," Lincoln said firmly.

Coming to a stop, Bellamy touched Lincoln's arm. "I need to ask you something," he said. "You protected my sister before you even knew her. Why?"