xlvi. april jaha

─── ・ 。゚☆: *

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

MOUNT WEATHER IS UNLIKE ANYTHING JUNE HAS EVER SEEN BEFORE. She tried to focus on the hallways that Maya led them through, memorizing and creating a map in her head. It'd be useful later. But there are so many lights, so neat and untouched, that even the walls are painted perfectly, no chipping. June feels out of place, even in her clean clothes. The Ark was nothing compared to this bunker, except a station floating in space. She knew radiation burns were the only fight these people had, but she would have expected something more from the way Clarke had described everything after she escaped.

"There are three hundred and eighty-two people inside this mountain," Maya announced, directing the two around a corner and into a new hall. "If any of them realize you're not one of us, you're dead."

June inhaled sharply with a sarcastic smile. "Good. No pressure at all," she commented jokingly despite the extra added weight pressing on her shoulders.

Neither Maya or Bellamy smiled. "We're on level two. The dorm is on five," Maya continued after a pause, coming to a stop in front of an elevator and pressing a button. "There's a camera in the upper right-hand corner, keep your heads down."

The door to the elevator slides open. June complies, brushing a hand through her blonde hair to let it dangle in her face. Bellamy bows his head, adjusting his hat more downwards so the bill covered his face. June positioned herself in the corner, the box shaking slightly with the three's weight. Just as the door almost closes, a hand shoves its way through, a voice calling out. "Hold the elevator!" June froze, her heartbeat suddenly picking up as the door opens and a stranger steps in.

He's sharply dressed, in some dark suit with a red tie, a wide smile plastered on his face. "Hey, Maya," he greeted kindly. June was panicking, trying to stay out of view as the door shut. "You know, I missed you in my Expressionists class," he said to Maya, making small talk, hardly noticing the other two accompanying a space.

"Yeah, I - I had some work to do," Maya explained in a stammer of an excuse.

"Ah," the man sighed in understanding. "I'll get you the notes." Maya nodded in thanks. June hoped that was the end of the conversation, willing the elevator to speed up, but her luck runs out when his attention focused on her. "Oh, I don't believe we've met." He sounds so confused, dark eyes flickering at June in wonder.

The tension that follows could have been sliced with a knife. It takes June a second to glance to Bellamy, seeing his hand lowering to the gun in his holster. He was going to kill him. She knew she had to react quickly. Innocent student, she heard Maya saying to her again in her mind. June knew she had to play a part to stay alive, and now it was time to test how well she could.

"April Jaha!" June exclaimed brightly, saying the first name she thought of while sticking her hand out, putting on the widest smile she could muster. The man tilted his head for a second, the confusion faded as he warmly smiled back and shook her hand firmly. "Maya here is introducing me to the medical station. I've been studying for so long, haven't had much air," June lied simply.