xlvii. the cure

AS IT TURNS OUT, FINDING THE SOURCE OF THE ACID FOG ISN'T EASY AS ANY OF THEM ASSUMED

AS IT TURNS OUT, FINDING THE SOURCE OF THE ACID FOG ISN'T EASY AS ANY OF THEM ASSUMED. June realized that searching for it was the least of their problems as of now. Not only did they have the problem of finding food and water so they'd have energy, a place to rest, and still not get caught, but Maya had informed them their friends were disappearing. One at a time. It didn't take a genius to know what was happening to them, which meant they'd have to work even faster. Searching took longer than June or Bellamy expected, and they were late for the check-in with the radio.

"Ark Station, do you read me?" Bellamy repeated into the radio. "Anybody there?"

"You're late." Clarke's worried voice fills the speaker. "Every three hours means every three hours," she scolded.

Bellamy rolls his eyes fondly. "You through?" He joked.

"Have you found the source of the acid fog?" Clarke asked.

"No, that's gonna have to wait," Bellamy answered.

"What? No. You need to find the source, now," Clarke insisted.

Shaking her head at Clarke's pushiness, June took the radio from Bellamy. "Clarke, I know what you mean, but there's a bigger problem here," she informed her before handing the radio back to Bellamy.

"Nothing is more important than that."

"Our friends are," Bellamy stated. "They've started taking them from the dorm one at a time every few hours."

"Taking them where?" Raven cuts in.

"I don't know," Bellamy replied honestly. "We tried to follow them, but they want to a classified level. Maya borrowed the schematics of the vent system from her boss, and I'm still trying to find a way in." He paused to glance to Maya, who had been hunched over a large paper. "Anything?"

With one hand trailing the path on the paper, observing closely, Maya responded. "I think I found a path, but it's gonna be tight," she announced. She picked up two objects on the table and handed one to June and the other to Bellamy. "Here's the walkies Raven asked for, and the earbuds."

Smiling, June accepted the walkie. "Thank you, Maya."

"Bellamy, you have to find them," Clarke demanded like they haven't been trying already.

"That's the plan," Bellamy reassured her.

"If you don't, this is all for nothing."

Picking her head up, June clenched her jaw. She knew Clarke meant well, but she was coming off much harsher. She gave Bellamy a nod, signaling to just leave the conversation at that. Maya cleared her throat, grabbing their attention. "I may have an idea," she suggested in a small voice.

"It'll have to wait," Bellamy said. "I have to see where our friends are, and we can't risk two people caught in the vents instead of one."

Nodding in agreement, Maya handed the map to Bellamy. "After, then," she offered. "But June, you'll have to come with me."