Chapter 31: Edge of Mirkwood

(Arulla's POV)

We were given ponies, food and supplies, all thanks to Beorn. Only downfall was... there were only 13 ponies. But! The problem was as quickly to be found, and resolved. I had to share a pony... Most likely with Thorin, which wasn't a big surprise. So everyone packed their bags and bedrolls and began to load the ponies as quick as they could.

I was slower than the others, I didn't want to go to Mirkwood. It held many memories... Not even Lord Elrond has knowledge of my hidden time here... Only person who does... Is Beorn... So it took me by no surprise when I found him outside my doorframe when everyone was somewhere else.

"Aranel?"

I turn and face him, worry is somewhat hidden in my face, "Yes Beorn? And you shouldn't call me by that name... My father doesn't like it now that he knows who I am."

Beorn frowned, "Apologies. But I wanted to know how you felt this morning. You looked very stressed after our conversation at breakfast."

It was my turn to frown. "I am fine my friend. There is nothing wrong." I lied, Beorn caught on.

"Amagurith... If you do not wish to go through Mirkwood I'm sure your company would understand." That hit it.

"I cannot abandon them. I made a promise that I would be there with my father and never leave his side again. Even if that means going through the one place I despise most... I must do it." I whined, then cleared my throat.

Beorn sighed, "But what if someone recognizes you? What will you do then? What if he-"

"Arulla! Time to go." Thorin shouted through the house. "Coming!" I look up at Beorn and smile sadly, "If someone does happen to recognize me, then I will have to do what I have to do to keep my family safe at any cost. Goodbye Beorn."

Beorn smiled and outstretched his arms for a hug, I embraced him quickly but poured all of my love for him into the hug, "Goodbye, my bear cub."

I nod sadly and walk out of the house and mount the pony me and Thorin were given, without even making eye contact with anyone. Thorin mounts soon after me and wraps an arm protectively around my waist. Beorn walks out of the house and his gaze travels to me before he sniffs the air and gives a low growl.

"Go now while you have the light. Your hunters are not far behind." Beorn hissed.

"Hold tight." Thorin whispered and I latched onto the pony's long, thick mane, tugging gently. And Thorin softly kicked the sides of the pony and we were riding towards the forest.

(3rd person POV)

As the company rode towards the Elven forest, Arulla leaned her body against Thorin's and tried to fall asleep. She couldn't. Her mind kept traveling to Mirkwood, and the dangers that she might have to face if she's caught. Oh how she wished that they could go around the cursed forest. Her worry could then be silenced.

"We are nearing the forest." Thorin whispered in her ear. Arulla jolted up and turned around to look Thorin in the eyes, her worry still as clear as day on her face, but Thorin dismissed it and pulled the pony to a halt.

Gandalf was the first to dismount and he rather briskly moved towards the Elven gate. "The Elven Gate. Here lies our path through Mirkwood." He said, his head turning towards the company.

"No sign of the orcs, we have luck on our side." Dwalin gruffed.

"This forest feels sick." Bilbo murmured as he dismounted his pony. "As if a disease lies upon it. Is there no way around." "Not unless we go 200 miles north. Or twice that distance, south." Gandalf replied and his head traveled to the black bear atop a large outcropping of rock.

"Set the ponies loose. Let them return to their master." Gandalf spoke in a commanding tone, but with a good amount of kindness.

"Do you need any help?" Thorin asked as he saw Arulla's face turn from worry to pain.

'I thought Gandalf said my pain would go away in the morning?'She thought to herself and brought her attention back to Thorin looking a little worried. She shook her head, "No. I'm fine." And she jumped down off of the pony and landed firmly on her feet.

Bad idea.

She yelped and clutched her abdomen again and Thorin crouched next to her grasping her shoulders lightly and looking desperately into her eyes, searching for any way he could help.

Arulla plastered a calm smile and swatted his hand away "I'm fine Adad. I swear." Thorin exhaled and removed his grasp on her shoulder. Arulla grimmaced in pain as she moved forward and began to grab things off of the pony and load them onto her back.

"Oh yeah.. Forgot about that" She mumbled and rubbed her shoulder blade gingerly, trying to find her shoulder. Her fingers nimbly finding the muscle that was out of place. "There you are." And she quickly popped the muscle back into its rightful spot and grunted to hold in her yelp of pain.

Then she moved on and trudged towards the Elven gate of where Gandalf had disappeared.

When Gandalf had reappeared his face was pale and filled with worry. Nori was just unsaddling his horse when Gandalf shouted, "Not my horse! I need it!"

(Arulla's POV)

My head shot up and I was about to speak but Bilbo beat me to the punch, "You're not leaving us?" "I would not do this unless I had to." Gandalf replied, I bowed my head in sadness and Bilbo sighed.

Gandalf turned towards Bilbo, as if examining him up and down. "You've changed Bilbo Baggins." Bilbo looked up, "You're not the same hobbit who left the Shire"

Bilbo whimpered, "I was going to tell you." His hand fiddling with something in his pocket, "I found something in the Goblin Tunnels." Gandalf's eyes went curious and worried, "Found what? What did you find?"

Bilbo hesitated, his fidgeting getting more frantic and his breathing quicker, "My courage." And with that he quickly removed his hand from his pocket and his arm dropped to his side, Gandalf smiled,

"Good. Well that's good. You need it." And with that Gandalf begins to walk towards his horse and in authoritative voice says, "I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." And those last words were pointed directly towards my father.

"This is not the Greenwood of old." Gandalf continued. "The very air of the forest is heavy with illusion. It will seek to enter your mind and lead you astray."

"Lead us astray? What does that mean?" Bilbo mumbled next to me. I look over at Thorin and his face is almost stoned in a permanent scowl,

"You must stay on the path; do not leave it. If you do, you will never find it again." Gandalf spoke again. Then In a quick movement he wheels his horse and begins to ride away. "No matter what may come, stay on the path!" He yelled as his horse picked up into a fast gallop.

I look to my left and I see Thorin turn towards the company, his scowl softer slightly. "Come on. We must reach the mountain before the sun sets on Durin's Day."

"Durin's Day, let's go." Dwalin bellows lowly.

"This is our one chance to find the hidden door." Thorin reassures as he places a hand upon my shoulder and grasps it slightly. I give him a slight smile and look deep into his ocean eyes.

Thorin moved his hand from my shoulder to my hand and he squeezed it, "Come." I could do nothing but obey as I shuddered one more time as I looked towards the dark forest.

To pass unseen is all I ask.

<~~~~~~~~~~>

I'm so sorry guys for being so late. But sadly being a junior in high school is not an easy task to be set aside. I've been pounded with homework and had no time to put off to write. But it's done now and I can breathe a sigh of relief. Again I just want to thank all of you who have come to enjoy this story as much as I have enjoyed writing it. So thank you guys so so much. Really if it weren't for you guys I wouldn't have made it this far so thanks again.

Okay now I have to start on the next chapter. See you soon

-TC110