A Daring Halloween | Miss Terry

The following is a top entry from our A Daring Halloween contest in conjunction with Ghost and Paranormal. Congratulations to our winner!

The full list of winning entries can be found here.

*

PROMPT

It's All Hallows' Eve, and you're gearing up for the most eventful night of your life. While young children are out trick-or-treating, you've made your way to the one house people always skip. It's the abandoned mansion, rumoured to be haunted.

Dared by your friends to spend a night in the haunted house, will you survive the night, or will you uncover the truth behind the rumours?

*

Miss Terry

hobitually

Tonight is the night.

Dressed in a short black leather dress, I'm glad my parents are out until tomorrow so they couldn't see my . . . bold costume. My hands are shaking a little, but my friends are watching my every movement as I fix my cat ears, so I need to pretend like this is any other day.

It's not.

From the window I could see the energy of children and adults alike as they go trick-or-treating. Lucky them.

"Done yet, baby girl?" Tessa pops a bubblegum in her mouth. She and Michelle are sexy bananas-in-pajamas tonight. I'd have worn the same if they didn't pick out my costume.

I pretend to claw her eyes out. She giggles, snuggling closer to London, her boyfriend, who didn't dress up. I sneak a glance at Blake, my boyfriend slash vampire of the night. He's low-key glaring at Blake, and I'm suddenly reminded why I'm doing this in the first place.

"You sure about this?" Michelle plays with her curls, a nervous habit. "It's okay to back out."

Again, I look at Blake. He started all this crap. The dare was supposed to be a joke, but he grabbed onto it like the jerk he is and challenged me.

And I never back down from a dare.

I know he dared me because he knows I'll accept no matter what, and by doing so will give him an ample amount of time to screw Tessa.

Why did I accept then?

Ask that to my pride.

With a faux confident smile, I say, "Let's go, pussies."

*

"Don't worry, we'll be right outside the gates," Michelle assures me as she rechecks the earpiece for the nth time.

Blake snorts. "No, we won't. We'll go back to your house and monitor you from there."

I glare at him. "More like they will look out for me while you fuck Tessa in the garage."