3

Dauntless are the first to exit. I don't dare look for my mom on the way out. I couldn't stand to see the look of hurt I know is on her face. I can't bear to see her on the verge of tears knowing she had just lost everything. Knowing I'm the reason she's crying.

I'm pushed forward by the crowd of Dauntless. We run down the stairs towards the front doors and the rest of my life. I nearly stumble and fall after tripping over my own two feet, but an arm reaches out to me and steadies me. I turn to see a girl a few inches taller than me with blonde hair and green eyes. She is wearing black and white, meaning she is a Candor transfer.

I look at her and thank her, "Thanks for catching me."

She answered, "No problem, I didn't want to see another transfer get trampled. I'm Olivia by the way."

"Emmeline Rose", I tell her my own name.

We keep running out of the building into the city streets. I keep towards the middle of the pack, Olivia right next to me. I spent my free time in Amity running through the fields and the trees. After Owen died I had a lot of time to myself and running let me escape from my thoughts and emotions for a few hours at a time.

Everyone is screaming and shouting as we run. Without missing a step I pull my long hair out of my face and use my hair tie to pull it into a messy bun, finally able to fully see where we are running to. We run towards the train platform. The people in front of me start scaling the support beams. It reminds me of my childhood spent climbing trees with the other kids my age. I think everyone from Amity has climbed a tree at least once in their life. When it's my turn it isn't hard for me to scale the metal structure. I get to the top to see people standing next to and even some crazy Dauntless standing on the tracks. I laugh at the sight. These people must have a death wish.

Olivia makes her way up to the tracks and stands next to me slightly out of breath but still smiling at me as if to say she was proud she had made it this far. I smile as I feel the whole structure start to tremble. I know this means the train is coming. I spent most of my days at school watching them jump off the train in the morning and on it in the afternoon. I look at Olivia and can tell she has no idea that the train will not stop for us to get on. I take her arm and start running hoping she will get the idea. We catch up to the closest open door on the train. I reach to grab onto the handle struggling to pull myself into the car. An Erudite transfer, judging by his blue sleeve, takes my hand and pulls me in.

I quickly say, "Thanks."

I focused my attention on Olivia and don't bother looking at the boy for too long. I quickly grab onto Olivia's arm and try to help her into the train car. The boy grabs her arm too and we help her in. Olivia and I fall back onto the floor trying to catch our breath.

I turn around to thank the boy again and I finally get a good look at him. He is very tall, over six foot and has a large frame. He has brown hair and brown eyes, he is pretty good looking.

Olivia and I get up and introduce ourselves, "I'm Emmeline Rose and this is Olivia", I say pointing to the girl next to me.

He answers back, "I'm Calum, Erudite," he says pointing to his blue and white clothes and smiling at both of us.

I can tell already he is nicer than most Erudites I've met before.

I'm pulled from my thoughts when I hear a girl yell, "Just grab my hand and pull yourself up."

I turn to see an Erudite transfer trying to pull themselves into the car but failing miserably. The train is moving too fast and he can't pull himself up. In seconds we're at the end of the platform and the boy is left behind. He's factionless.