Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

It's Hard.

Anna

Bark! Bark!

I groan as I open my eyes and I find Molly's small face in my sight. Her tongue hanging out of her mouth as she pants slightly.

"Hey, Molly," I mumble, rubbing her behind her ear.

Ding-dong!

Molly barks excitedly and she hops off of me before landing on the floor. I get out of bed and follow her downstairs.

I take notice of Luke who is watching TV, not caring about the ringing doorbell.

"Seriously, you couldn't bother opening the door?" I ask, drily and he shrugs in response.

I walk over to the door and open it to be greeted by my grandma's smiling face. I actually have to look down a bit, so I can see her face.

"Mi hija!" She exclaims, opening her arms wide and I wrap my arms around her tiny body.

"Hey, Abuela. I missed you so much."

"Aw, I missed you too, mi hija."

She pulls away at the sound of the small enthusiasm-filled barks coming from beside me.

Grandma chuckles. "Hey, Molly," she bends down scratching Molly behind her ear.

She locks her hands around mines. "Look at you, you've grown up into such a beautiful girl," she gushes.

I smile. "Thank you, Abuela. Come in."

She walks inside the house and I grab her suitcase, before closing the door.

"And who is that?" She asks, taking notice of Luke.

"That's Luke Carter. He's my..." I pause to look for a right word and I feel a nudge at my foot.

I look down at Molly and she tilts her head to the right. I look at where her head is tilted and I see Luke who raises an eyebrow at me.

"Friend," I smile, liking how it sounds natural on my tongue and look back at my grandmother.

"A Carter, huh?" Grandma says. "No wonder, you're so handsome."

"Wow, okay," I mutter.

Luke smirks and I mentally roll my eyes at his cockiness before he walks over to us and stands beside me.

"It's nice to meet you, ma'am," he tells grandma.

"Oh, dear, call me Valentina," she says.

I expected this.

Grandma turns to me. "Now, where is everyone else?"

"Mum's at work, since her boss needed her today. The guys are sleeping and dad's at work, like always," I tell her.

"How many times have I told my idiota of a son to put his family before work? Family before work. Is he really that stupid to understand?!" Grandma snaps in a strong Spanish accent.

"It's okay, Abuela. We have gotten used to it by now," I say, softly.

"I don't care. I'm talking to him tonight and I don't want anyone stopping me from chasing him with a mop!" she says firmly and I have the urge to chuckle, but I know she isn't even close to joking. A smile still appears on my lips though. I just love my grandma.

"Come on, Abuela. Let me show you where you're staying," I say.

"Alright," she replies. She turns to Luke, "It was nice meeting you, Luke," she smiles, her wrinkles crinkling her naturally-tanned forehead.