14: Maybe Perfect

Chapter 14

I opened the door to the house and was immediately bombarded by my brother. Max wrapped his arms around me tightly, squeezing me to him as I threw my own arms around his body.

After a couple seconds of being trapped in my brother’s arms; I was starting to lose oxygen. “Can’t… breathe…” I gasped.

Max unraveled his self from me and held me at arm’s length, with a smile on his face. “Hey Sophie, long time no see.” he greeted jokingly as I laughed.

“Yea, has it been a month already?” I asked rhetorically as I finished laughing. “But seriously, why didn’t you tell me you were coming home?”

Max shrugged. “I wanted it to be a surprise, plus, I didn’t think you’d be out of the house when I arrived. You’re barely out of the house except for work and the occasional weekend out with Piper and Blake, but when I come home all ready to scream ‘Surprise!’, you’re hanging out at a guy’s house.” he states, raising an eyebrow and crossing his arms across his chest.

I rolled my eyes at him. “Sorry, you should’ve called and yes, I was hanging out at Jett’s and working on a project for school.” I said, as I took off my jacket and shoes, leaving them at the door before venturing into the living room.

I sat down on the couch and Max sat beside me. “So… when were you going to tell me about your new little friend?” he asked, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively.

I sighed and glared at my brother. “You’re telling me that you wanted me to call you at university to inform you that I had made a new friend… or two?” I asked, muttering the last part when I realized that Dillon was kind of my friend. Actually when I thought about it, I wouldn’t mind classifying Axel or Carter as my friends either.

“Two? What; did you suddenly become popular after Christmas vacation?” he asked curiously.

“For your information no I didn’t suddenly become popular. I met Jett at the end of Christmas vacation at work and we’ve been hanging out. When I accidentally stopped by one of his gigs I met his friends and they were cool and not complete jerks like some guys I know.” I stated, finishing off with a suggestive glare in my brother’s direction.

Max lifted his hands in a mock surrender. “Hey, you know you love me; I just didn’t think you were that type of girl.”

I raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?” I asked.

“Well, I always thought that sooner or later you’d fall for a smart and dorky guy... you know a stick in the mud, but then I come home and your hanging out with a rock and roll guy who rides a motorcycle.” he explained.