Chapter 45

They drove on, feeling the urgency of their task pulling them forward. When they'd begun, Kami had half-expected to run into a shadow creature or two. But not only had they not encountered any shadow creatures, they had seen hardly any living creatures either. Gedo had pointed out a fennec fox which he claimed was the world's smallest fox, and he told her that its big ears radiated heat to help it keep cool in the hot climate.

"Let's stop here for the night," Gedo said as he consulted his map. Samuel pulled the jeep to a stop, and Haji pulled in next to him. Haji groaned as he climbed out of the car.

"My legs are stiff," he said.

"Mine too," said Kami. Liam, Haji and Yasmin climbed out of the other vehicle laughing and talking. It wasn't fair that they got to be together while she was stuck with her cranky grandfather.

She walked over to join the others, but before she could even say anything, Gedo gave them all tasks. He seemed bound and determined to keep them separated. Liam was sent with Haji to dig a firepit and gather kindling from dead bushes, while Kami and Yasmin arranged the camp. Then Liam was told to help set up the tents while Yasmin and she prepared dinner. Gedo assigned Haji and himself first watch, probably so he could get plenty of rest while the others covered the late shifts. It was exasperating. Her anger continued to simmer as she watched the way he controlled and ordered everyone.

"You okay?" Yasmin asked as Kami sliced carrots. They were making some kind of stew.

"Is that what he's always like? Running people around? Giving you tasks and ordering you to chop, chop. Telling you and Neina what to cook and how to do it? Does he even lift a finger at home to help, or does he just run the show?"

Yasmin seemed surprised and paused mid slice.

"Gedo's an excellent cook. He makes this lamb feta dish that is to die for. He simmers the lamb with pine nuts and garlic and butter until it is tender, then serves it over wild rice with feta. It is so delicious, I cannot stop eating it. You should not have brought it up Kami," she said as she resumed slicing. "Now I am craving lamb and all we have is supplies for stew."

"Huh. I guess I shouldn't have assumed he didn't cook, but so far I haven't seen him helping much."

"You and Gedo do not see eye to eye, do you?"

"That's the understatement of the century."

"Gedo is the type that explodes first, then feels bad later but is too proud to admit it. I do not know if he will ever learn to control his temper. But he tries to make it up by doing little things for you afterward. Just don't ever expect to get an apology, because you will never get one. You have to learn to see the apology in his actions."

"I don't see any apologies yet, just interference. I think Gedo's trying to keep Liam and me apart."

"So you noticed," Yasmin said, a smile twitching at her lips. "Gedo is not so subtle, is he? Just so you know, it is upsetting Liam too."

"Really? Because from my corner, it seemed like you were all having a great time without me."

"Trust me, I have sat through plenty of Gedo's talks. The best thing to do is smile and nod and not let it get to you. His personality is so ingrained, I don't think anything could change it at this point. So do not worry. Do what you Americans say—let it slide off."

"Easy for you to say. I'm not used to being treated this way."

"How?"

"Like he's watching my every move, waiting for me to mess up. I'm used to more freedom."

Yasmin laughed at this. Kami continued.

"He's so different than my Baba. It's hard to believe they're related. I was only six when he died, but I have plenty of memories. He was so kind and gentle. He would tell me stories every night and help my mom with the dishes, even after a long day of work. I don't remember him ever losing control or ordering us around. My parents were so deeply in love. When he died, part of her died with him."

"I am glad when you talk about my uncle," Yasmin said. "No one in my family will, you know. It is forbidden. And even if it were not, the subject upsets Gedo so bad it is not worth it. I wish I would had known him. My mother is more like I am. We both have Gedo's temper. We have just learned to control it more than he has. It sounds like your Baba took after Neina."

They cut vegetables in silence for a minute.

"So, what makes you think Liam is upset?" Kami said, unable to resist anymore.

"Wouldn't you like to know?" Yasmin teased. Kami elbowed her as she laughed.

"Okay. He kept staring at Samuel's car with this frustrated look on his face. I can just imagine what he was thinking. If Gedo does not scare him off, Liam might be worth keeping for that alone. Well, don't be too hard on Gedo. He may be more controlling than ever, but I think that's how he deals with his fear. We are in danger after all. Those shadow creatures could attack at any time. That's why Samuel and Chris are out there armed and on watch. There, we're done. It is no fete, but it will do. Why is it food always tastes better outdoors than in?"

Kami shrugged. So Yasmin had the impression that Liam was missing her company. That was a relief. If only she could talk to him and finish the conversation Gedo had interrupted.

"Kami," Yasmin said waving a hand in front of her face. "I know you are lost in Liamland, but I am still speaking to you."

"Sorry," Kami said. "What were you saying?"

"Never mind, hopeless girl. How about this—after we eat, you pretend to go to bed early. I will distract Gedo so you and Liam can talk."

"Oh, would you?" Kami asked gratefully.

"On one condition," she said, wagging her index finger at her. "I expect a full report. And by full, I mean every detail. I do not fully trust him. I feel like a big sister. I want to make sure he treats you right."

"Sure," Kami replied and smiled.

Yasmin returned a conspiratorial smile of her own and dried her hands with a cloth, then they walked over to where the boys were finishing with the second tent. The males were bunking in the larger tent, while Yasmin and Kami were sharing the smaller one. She wondered how that would go, having her grandfather and Liam sleep in the same tent. He wasn't quite a boyfriend, but he was definitely more than a friend. They were in a strange place. She glanced over at Liam, and he gave her a broad smile that made her heart feel a little lighter. She thought of Yasmin's offer and felt even happier.

______________

It would mean a lot to me if you would click the little star and vote.

The dedication for this chapter goes to one of my fabulous readers @Writersrule027! I have so enjoyed her comments throughout the book and her enthusiasm for my story. Thanks Faith!