Read My Lips: Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“Maisie, come on. Get up!” I briefly heard someone call from outside my door. Letting out a groan, I rolled over in bed so I was now facing my clock which read six thirty am.

Time for school.

A sigh accompanied me as I walked into the bathroom to get ready. After brushing my teeth, I tied my hair up and got ready for the day ahead. I wasn’t looking forward to school in the slightest. Having to face Zach again was something I’d gladly miss out on.

I wasn’t sure if he was going to talk to me or not and that scared me. Talking to me required me talking back to him and I didn’t know how I’d act. I didn’t want to talk to him. But then Zach not talking to me also scared me because then it was like he didn’t care at all.

After plenty of thinking the previous night, I’d decided on taking both my mums and Rebekah’s advice. I was going to go to school with my head held high and not let Zach see how I was truly feeling. If he wanted to intentionally hurt me then I wasn’t going to let him see that’d he’d succeeded.

Walking into school was like it was before Zach and I got together. People were staring at me. This time though, they weren’t talking… Probably because they all knew I could hear them now. Not that I thought they’d care because that never stopped them before.

Although now, they were all probably staring because of two different things. One, I could finally hear. They were likely looking to see if anything was different. And two, the breakup. They all would know; Zach was a rather big figure in this school, everyone knew who he was.

I ignored them all the best that I could and hurried to where I was meeting Rebekah. She was already waiting for me by the lockers when I arrived and she automatically pulled me into a hug. The hug was comforting, something I’d been seeking since yesterday.

“How are you?” She whispered in my ear before pulling away. She tucked her hair behind her left ear whilst waiting for a reply from me.

“I good,” I smiled slightly. I dropped my bag onto the floor and opened my locker, pulling out the folders I needed for today. “Have you seen him yet?” I asked quietly, my heart rate picking up; I wasn’t sure whether I wanted to know her answer.

She shook her head causing me to let out a sigh of relief. My heart rate slowly began to go back to normal when I heard that she hadn’t seen him yet. Maybe I’d hit lucky and he wouldn’t come to school. My guess is that’s highly unlikely, though. He wouldn’t miss school because of me.

“Not yet, anyway. I don’t know if he’s in school or not.” She explained further. With her current situation with Jake, it was obvious that she didn’t want Zach in school either. Because no Zach meant that he wouldn’t come near me which lead to Jake not coming near us either resulting in Rebekah not having to see him.

I didn’t blame her. If I was in her position, I’d want neither of them to be in either.

“We just have to see.” I replied, locking my locker again. I put my bag on my shoulder and we headed off away from the locker room.

We were both silent for a moment before Rebekah spoke up again. “So, where are we going for lunch? I’m guessing we aren’t sitting with Zach and his friends.”

I let out a laugh at her statement. Obviously we weren’t going to sit with them. “Outside, maybe? Or we can just sit in the cafeteria; we shouldn’t let them stop us.” I requested playing with the folders in my arms. The amount of folders and how much were in them were ridiculously heavy.