■ T W O ■

■ TWO ■

It took me several seconds to realise that school equalled hell. Summer holidays had just ended and I was standing in the middle of the hallway, thinking about whether I could drop out and become a stripper or not.

The books in my hands grew heavy as I took a deep breath and started forward. My only friend that I had made during my time on this earth had moved to another school during the holidays which meant I would be sitting alone during lunch.

I carefully avoided the drawing crowd around the lockers 245 and 247. Caitlyn and her groupies were laughing and swapping stories about their holidays as I walked to my Locker, unfortunately placed across the hallway at 321. I turned the code just as the bell went, causing the crowd to disperse.
"Well well, look who it is, the sewer rat has joined us for another year" a bitchy voice said.

"Hello Caitlyn" I replied, rolling my eyes.

I pulled my locker open and began to put away my books, keeping only the ones I needed. "What did you get up to this holiday? Teach some turtles how to fight?" Caitlyn said as I turned around.

I closed my locker. "Why yes Caitlyn, how did you know?" I asked giving her a cheery smile.

Her sarcastic smile faded. Taking a step forward, she pushed me into my locker, making me wince. "Why did you come back sewer rat? You should've stayed down that little hole of yours" she said nastily.

My shoulder throbbed and was about to reply before a familiar voice spoke up. "What's going on here?" James asked, watching us carefully.

Caitlyn stepped back, immediately began to play the victim. "James, thank god you're here, she was talking shit about my friends" she said, walking over to him.

She wrapped an arm around his waist, making me roll my eyes. "C'mon babe, I've dealt with it" she said quickly as James's eyes met mine.

I looked away.

"Why don't you go ahead, I'd like to talk to my old friend" James said quickly, making my eyebrows shoot up.

He wanted to talk to me?

"Are you sure?" Caitlyn asked, looking confused.

He nodded and unwound her arm from his waist. Shooting me a dark look, she beckoned to her cronies and they walked away. "What do you want Lucifer?" I asked, crossing my arms.

"At ease, soldier I'm here on request of my mother.. she wants to know if you're okay, we kinda all heard the yelling match your parents had last night" he said, looking me up and down before focusing on my face.

I looked away. "I'm fine" I replied.

"Okay well, I'll be sure to tell my mother that but just so you know, even I know how to tell when you're lying" he said, stepping back.

I looked back at him, my eyes washing over his bleached blonde hair before staring into his blue orbs. "Wow James, that almost sounds like you care" I replied.

He opened his mouth to reply but I shrugged him off. "Just leave me alone, alright?" I asked, before starting to walk away.

"We're neighbours, Christie, we look out for each other" he called out after me.

"Yeah? Than tell you bitchy girlfriend to leave me alone, that would really be doing me a favour" I replied over my shoulder.

I made it to my class. Five minutes late. I apologised to the teacher before sitting down, and focusing on the board. Feeling eyes on me, I looked over to see Chase looking at me, a frown on his face.

I raised an eyebrow and he looked away. What the hell?

All through the last year, the Mareno brothers didn't even glance in my direction but now they're talking to me in hallways and staring at me in class.

I mean, I didn't change much over the summer. Just lost a bunch of weight, started being more active and things. But their weird behaviour was beginning to bother me.

The day went by quickly and luckily with no more interactions with the brothers that lived next door.

I shouldered my bag and slammed my locker closed, unknowingly jinxing myself with that thought. Walking out into the parking lot as students fled to their cars, a sleek black Audi pulled up alongside me. I glanced at the car and stopped walking.

Slowly, the window wound down. "Let me drive you home" James's voice said, over Chase's body as he sat in the passenger seat.

"I'd rather burn in hell" I replied giving James a fake smile.

"Get in the car Christie" he said sighing.

I stiffened. "You don't get to call me that, what part of leave me alone did you not understand?" I asked, beginning to walk again.

James rolled the car alongside. "The part where I'm stubborn and I don't listen to you" James said.

Chase kept his eyes forward, mouth shut. "If I get in the car and let you drive me home, will you just go back to pretending I don't exist?" I asked, tilting my head and stopping in my tracks.

Finally, the younger brother looked at me. "Do you really hate us that much?" He finally asked.

I gritted my teeth. "I don't hate you, I strongly dislike you both" I replied.

James chuckled but Chase narrowed his eyes. "Are you getting in the car or are you going to be the stubborn woman you always are?" He snapped.

"Easy.." James said, quietly.

I stared at him for a moment, wondering where my friend I used to have possibly went. "I think I'll walk" I said finally after a moment of silence.

In reply, Chase rolled up the window. Ignoring the car, I began walking away and muttering to myself. The black Audi sped away and I glared at its tail lights. What a jerk.

How was it that James, the usual Jerk seems to be the one that's nice to me but the one that's normally nice to me is now the Jerk. They must have switched bodies.

The walk home didn't take long, I was used to it. I made it through the front door to see my father reading the newspaper. "Hey dad" I said quickly.

He looked up. "How was school?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I sighed. "Wow, that bad?" He asked.

I nodded in reply, heading towards the steps. "Go do your homework" he said as I stomped up to the second floor.

Opening my bedroom door, I threw my bag onto my bed before collasping face first into my pillows.
I couldn't wait for this year to be over.

A/N

I wonder why Chase is being an ass. I guess you'll find out soon! :)

Don't forget to vote and comment!
Lots of love, Tavana xoxoxoxoxo