Chapter Sixty-Six "Broken"

After Lord Edgehill left Thomas wasted no time and went into his study.  He returned shortly with a contented smile and bid us all a fond farewell, especially his mother who had fallen into a heap on the floor, weeping.  I watched as he stepped right past her and made his way to the door.  I will admit to feeling bad for her, her life was crumbling around her and she might lose everything now . . . but I could not generate much sympathy, not when she brought all of this on herself.  Leah and I went to her and helped her to her feet before calling her personal maid to take her to her room.  This was the first time I had ever seen the lady look anything but perfect.

            "What shall we do?" Leah asked tentatively as she watched her mother clumsily climb the stairs in between sobs.

            "I don't think I will be able to sleep," I replied. 

            "Me neither," she sighed sitting on the sofa, "My family is broken."  I felt a pang in my heart as she uttered those words.

            "It might seem that way now," I said sitting beside her, "but soon all of the pieces will be back and perhaps the bonds will be stronger then."  I had no idea what I was saying, but I wanted to cheer her.  I could tell how upset she was and that distress is what would keep her sleep away, but in honesty I was too excited to sleep.  The truth was out, everyone knew that Isaac was alive and there was nothing keeping us from being together.  My heart raced at the thought.  Lord Edgehill would find Isaac and bring him back to me.

* * * * *

            Lady Edgehill did not leave her room at all.  The next morning Anna came to tell us to send all visitors away and only to disturb the lady if Lord Edgehill returned or her sons.  "Sons," I thought, "as if they would want to see her."

            Leah surprised me wholly when their steward inquired for direction as to running the house.  She instructed him to continue the routine and then went to speak with the kitchen staff to make arrangements for meals.  "On the plus side of not being noticed, you learn a lot," she smiled.

            "You are most impressive Miss Edgehill," I nodded, "people do not give you enough credit."  And so it became just Leah and myself banging around the house for the next several days.

* * * * *

            We managed to get through the weekend with hardly any visitors, in truth only Faith called upon us.  We were settling in for what would be a long and quiet week when the front door flew open on Monday afternoon.  Lord Edgehill charged inside looking about furiously, he looked worse for wear with his clothes disheveled and his face unshaven.  "I need you girls to prepare yourselves, your trunks.  We're leaving in the morning."

            "What do you mean, Papa?" Leah jumped up and pressed herself against him as she gave him a hug, "Where are we going?"

            He moved her away from him so he could kneel and look into her face, "I haven't found your brother yet," he let out a tired sigh, "I've been scouring London but I have come up empty handed.  I am not giving up, not by far," he turned to me and nodded, "but I cannot leave you girls here alone."

            "We're not alone, Mama is here."

            "That could be worse than alone," he heaved a breath, "don't argue with me, Leah," he said cupping her cheek, "just be prepared to leave first thing."

            "Should I contact my brother?" I hesitated to ask.

            "He would not get here in time, so Leah and I will take you home."  Lord Edgehill stood and looked about the room, finally headed towards his study.

            "I mean my brother Arthur, Lord Edgehill, I believe he's still in town," I called after him.

            "Freddie put you in my care and it's only Freddie that I will hand you back to," he said returning to the parlor with a small leather pouch in his hand, "We will ride straight to Somerset, and then Leah," he turned to his daughter again, "Leah, darling, I can't take you with me while I continue my search, but I'm sure the Beachems will take you in while I'm away.  You remember Garrick, right?  He's an old friend of mine . . . "

            "Excuse me, Sir, but . . . " I interrupted, noticing a look of worry creep onto Leah's face.

            "I will not leave anyone that I care about alone with that woman!" Lord Edgehill raised his voice and both Leah and I jumped a bit at his tone.

            "I was only going to say that Leah could stay with me . . . in Somerset."

            "I apologize, Miss Woodbridge," he tried to soften his expression, "that is very good of you to offer . . . "

            "It would be my pleasure to have Leah stay with me," I said quietly as the servants began to hover in the doorway.

            Lord Edgehill nodded at me and gave Leah a squeeze before he turned to face them, "I am not staying," he announced, "so don't bother to run to you mistress.  But do tell her that I will return tomorrow morning."  With that he left almost as abruptly as he arrived.

* * * * *

            Leah made arrangements for us to take our supper together in my room and we spent the rest of the day preparing our trunks.  I had acquired so much since coming here that I could not fit it all in my trunk, so it became necessary to decide what would stay behind.  I made sure that my journals, now filled with pressed violets, were among my first possessions packed.  I took great care in making sure my perfume decanter and handkerchiefs were stowed away safely before I moved to the wardrobe.  I tucked my favorite dresses away next, being sure to include the green dress from my debut and the cream gown from the engagement party and I set aside the blue frock with violets for travelling the next day.  The wardrobe was still relatively filled, but that could not be changed.

            I helped Leah pack hers so she would be content staying with me for however long it would be until her father and brother came for us.  I was going to remain firm on this belief, they would come, they had to.