Chapter 8 - Sermon's Travels

Sofia and Aunt Sybil passed each other wordlessly to echoed shouts of "Next".

Sofia tried to deduct from her expression what she was thinking, but her eyes were lowered and her hands folded in front of her as if she was about to enter a convent.

Sofia didn't understand her aunt's behavior. How could this strong-willed, rigid person suddenly become this fearful and pliant? She hoped that it was just an act and that, later, Aunt Sybil would dissect the meeting in her usual harsh and unforgiving manner.

Right now though, Sofia went outside and searched for her uncles, Sermon and Davis. She found them not far from where she had seen them before, and before she could even greet them, Sermon had already enfolded her in a big hug. They hadn't seen each other for more than a year, and he had always felt a deep fondness for his niece, although he was quick to forget people once they were out of sight. Even when he was in town, a long time could go by without a visit. Sermon never understood how all his best intentions could come to so little.

"How long have you been back?" Sofia asked.

He shrugged with a guilty expression.

"He's been back for three weeks," Davis answered for his brother. He also hugged Sofia, but only because it would be strange if he didn't. He was clumsy and awkward and generally didn't like being among people. He was still much in love with his wife Rhea, who had left the village many years ago. He kept waiting for her to come back, in vain, and the sorrow over her absence had corroded his face.

Sermon was the opposite, his face wide and glowing, always sporting an easy-going smile, but with a golden glint in his eyes that said he would always look out for himself before anybody else.

"I've been meaning to come to see you," Sermon said, not speaking the truth, but not lying either. He winked at her in a conspiratorial manner. "I brought you something. We'll wait for that charming sister of ours, and with her permission, I will whisk you off to my house to give you your present."

"And tell me stories about your trip?" Sofia asked, excited. The prospect of a present almost made her forget the Assessors.

"And maybe tell you a few stories about my trip," Sermon agreed.

He looked over his shoulder, and his face darkened.

"There's Sybil," he said, and a little louder he added, "Dear sister, we've been waiting for you."

His voice sounded mocking, but Aunt Sybil didn't take the bait.

"Here I am. Good to have you back, Sermon. I expect that you have properly reported your return to the assessors."

"It's why I came here. And to see my niece, of course." He patted Sofia's head and gave her an encouraging smile.

"Aunt Sybil, Uncle Sermon has brought me back a present from his trip. Can I go with him to get it?"

Before Aunt Sybil could answer, Sermon interjected,

"Or I could pass by later."

That last remark sealed the deal. Aunt Sybil knitted her brows together in a painful-looking way.

"Very well. But don't stay out too late. I need to resume my post."

"Of course you do," Sermon said sarcastically.

Aunt Sybil turned to her other brother.

"Davis, was there any news of Rhea?" she asked as politely and indifferently as if she was a distant acquaintance.