28 - It'll take months more

"You're a Death Eater", I say and his eyes widen, confirming my suspicions once more, making me look to the ground. I now know that he's evil. That he does bad things and that I shouldn't associate myself with him. Yet I can't.

"How did you find out?" he asks and I blink away some tears.

"Harry's been having these suspicions and when I heard you saying that you hexed Katie, I realised that it could be true. All the pieces started falling into place. How he - being Voldemort - wouldn't spare me, how he had given you the task out of all the others. I just didn't want to accept it until now", I say and look in his eyes, which are full of pain.

"I'm sorry", he says and I swallow the lump in my throat.

"Did you want it? Did you want to become one of them?"

"I doesn't matter, I didn't have a choice."

"But did you want it?"

He slowly shakes his head, indicating that he didn't.

"What's this task he's given you?" I ask and he sighs.

"How did you even find out about all of that?" he asks.

"I'm a stupid nerd, remember? Ravenclaw's are supposed to be clever", I say, not wanting to tell him about listening in on his conversations.

"I'm not a telltale, Draco. I can see that you're hurting and I just want to help you."

"Why does everyone want to help me? I can do this", he says and tenses up again.

"It's easier to carry a secret with two."

"I'm not dragging you into this, just leave while you can Y/N. They already know I used to date you, I'm doing this to protect you", he says and tears are streaming down his face.

"And I'm trying to protect you, Draco! Don't you get that?" I exclaim and I feel so powerless.

It stays silent for a while. Just as I'm about to open my mouth, he does.

"I have to kill Dumbledore Y/N. If I do he'll get my dad out of Azkaban. If I don't he'll kill me and my family. So I have to do it. And if that happens, hell is going to break loose. I don't want you to get caught up in that."

Kill Dumbledore? What kind of task is that to give a sixteen year old boy? And he has no choice.

I'm having trouble processing all of it, but I have to. He looks so... broken. I wipe away a lost tear on his cheek and let my hand rest there for a while.

"Why are you doing this to yourself Y/N? You're so much better off without me", he says and his eyes get glossy with new upcoming tears.

"I can't choose who I fall in love with Draco."

It's true. By now I could've found someone else, or just be a happy single. I would go to classes and have fun with my friends. I could be drinking Butterbeer at The Three Broomsticks. But instead I'm chasing after a boy who's impossible to catch and I can't help it.

"You still love me? After how I treated you? After all this time?"

"Always."

With that he pulls me into him and kisses me. Gentle, yet with months of longing. I wrap my arms around him. After the kiss I hug him tightly. Not wanting to let him go.

"Please promise me that you won't interfere when the time comes. Or they will kill you", he whispers in my ear and I know he's not lying.

"Take care of yourself, okay?" I say and he nods, giving me one last kiss.

"I'll see you again when everything is over", he says and leaves the room.

For the millionth time since I've met that guy, I burst out in tears.

——

The time after that was better. Even though I didn't talk to Draco, I knew he still loved me and that was enough for me to keep going. I knew that like this, I might even be able to move on. I know that being with Draco is impossible without either dying or going to the dark side and I'm not willing to do either of those for a boy, no matter how much I love him. I started talking to Luna and Cho again and they accepted me back like nothing happened.

I wanted to hang out with the trio as well, but Harry was so focussed on everything Draco related that I simply couldn't. So I did what I had to do to keep going.

——

Katie Bell was back. She was back and that meant that Draco could be in trouble. I was sitting at lunch when she walked in. Draco was nowhere to be found.

"Harry, there's Katie. That's Katie Bell", I hear behind me and turn around. It's Hermione. Harry looks up and stands up immediately. Oh let's pray that she doesn't know anything. I see them talking and I fiddle with my fingers, trying to calm myself down.

Suddenly, Draco walks in and when he sees Harry with Katie, all colour he still has in his face gets drained. His eyes widen and his bottom lip starts trembling. His hands start flinching, something he always does when he is panicking. When Harry looks back at him, the trembling gets worse and he walks out of the Great Hall.

Harry follows him. He knows. I don't know whether Katie told him or not, but I can see in his eyes that he knows. And that's not good, that's not good at all.

"I have to go to the bathroom, I'll be back soon", I say and leave as well, following the two boys.

I can't see them anymore and I almost want to go back when I hear a loud bang coming from the girl's bathroom. What are they doing in there?

"I slowly open the door, but I don't see anyone. All of the sudden Draco runs from behind one of the stalls.

"Sectumsempra!" I hear and Draco falls down to the ground.

"Dray!" I scream and run up to him. For a moment I think that he's just been stunned, but then I see scarlet red staining the clear water and bloodstains form on his white shirt.

"D-Dray? Draco?" I ask and in disbelief, I shake him slightly and my hands start shaking as they get stained by his blood.

"Y/N, J-Just... G-g-go", he says.

"Not in a million freaking years", I say panicking like crazy.

Suddenly, Harry is standing next to you.

"What did you do to him?! Harry, do something!" I scream and start pressing my hands on his wounds, but there are too many.

"Draco, please stay with me!" I scream and cup his face.

"Get someone!" I scream at Harry.

Suddenly, I'm pushed aside harshly. I fall back into the water and stare at the scene in disbelief. Snape is kneeling next to Draco, getting out his wand.

"Vulnera Sanentur", he mumbles and traces the wounds on his chest. Draco is still groaning in pain. Snape repeats the spell several times until all blood is gone.

I look up at Harry is full disgust. I know he hates Draco, but how could he possibly do this. We make eye contact very briefly before Harry runs out.

"Miss Y/L/N, I suggest you go back and stay silent about what you just observed", Snape says.

"The hell I am! Is he going to be okay?" I ask, quickly washing the blood of my hands.

"Go, now", he repeats and I look at him in disbelief.

"You have to let him go. He did what he did for a reason, now stop meddling in his business", he says and picks Draco up, who whines slightly.

"You can't just stop loving someone because someone tells you to!" I scream at him and he stares into my eyes, trying to figure me out.

"It's been months", he mumbles.

"And it'll take months more", I say. With that, he leaves the room.