Chapter Fourteen

~Luna's POV~

"Shigure, they don't have to go, if they don't want to. Give it a rest." I snapped after listening to Kyo and Yuki try to argue with Shigure all morning.

"It's an important family tradition-."

I shot Shigure a glare. He knew Kyo wasn't even allowed to attend the banquet because he was the cat. Why was he being so persistent? Was he really that worried about Akito's wrath if the boys didn't go?

"What are you guys arguing about?" Tohru asked curiously as she poked her head out from the kitchen.

Shigure whined to Tohru, "They say they won't return to the Sohma house for New Years."

"You're a grown man, don't whine!" Kyo snapped his chocolate eyes narrowing into a glare and his vibrant orange hair standing on end like a cats.

"But-."

"I'll make you a deal Shigure." I piped up before they could resume arguing.

Everyone turned to me curiously.

"Let the boys stay home with Tohru for New Years, and I'll go with you." I would not run from Akito. As the protector of the family, it was time for me to stand strong.

"L-Luna?" Shigure gasped, "You haven't been to the New Year's celebration in years."

"I'd say it's a pretty fair compromise then, don't you think?" I noted dryly.

Kyo and Yuki stared at me wide eyed.

"Luna, you don't have to do that." Yuki said softly.

I leaned over the table to ruffle his dark hair, "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine. You two make sure to have fun here with Tohru."

The atmosphere felt too heavy. I could see all three of them weighing the options. In the past Akito would have made me suffer, he would have publicly shamed me, but this year was different. This year I had a precious home and loving family I desperately wanted to protect. I chanced a glance at the clock on the wall before turning to Shigure.

"We should be going if we want to arrive on time."

Tohru smiled, "You should all go, family is important."

"It is." I agreed with a small smile, "So you three have fun."

Her blue green eyes welled with tears as she stepped forward and hugged me tightly, "Thank you, Luna."

I hugged her back just as tight, "You're family." I whispered before letting her go and heading upstairs to change for the Banquet.

My heart was pounding in my chest as I reached my room. I felt adrenaline coursing through my veins and a sense of anxiousness I hadn't felt in a long time. It wasn't fear that gripped me, it was closer to excitement. Daring and ready for anything, I quickly changed into a simple black yukata with vibrant orange and red blooms littering the bottom and the sleeves.

Shigure was waiting for me at the top of the stairs looking worried, "Luna-."

"I'm fine."

He smiled softly and gently reached out to brush my hair from my face. "You're so strong, Luna." His dark eyes held my gaze for a long captivating moment before he slowly leaned forward and stole a kiss.