Chapter 1 iLost My Phone

The Cell Phone Swap

by DoNotMicrowave

Copyright 2012. All Rights Reserved.

"Hurry up Keeley! I want to ride the Ferris wheel, you know it's my favorite," Nicky yelled to her best friend. This was the last night the county fair was open before packing up and moving to another town. It was nearing closing time and Nicky knew the line for the Ferris wheel would be crowded.

"Don't get your panties in a twist. We'll ride the Ferris wheel," Keeley said offhandedly as she rummaged through her purse looking for her cell phone. "I know it's here somewhere," she muttered to herself. Her hands searched all the pockets and secret compartments but came up with nothing. "Damn it. Where is it?" her tone laced with frustration.

Tired of waiting, Nicky sidled up next to her and peered over Keeley's shoulder. "I already know you have bad breath after eating those chili cheese fries. You don't need to freshen up for me," she joked, thinking Keeley was searching for gum.

Keeley was too engrossed in her task to comprehend her friend's teasing. "Uh-huh. Fries. Right," she blankly repeated. Her heart raced as she checked her purse one more time. She could feel the panic starting to rise.

Nicky noticed Keeley's frantic behavior and became concerned. "What's the hold up?"

"I can't find my phone," Keeley's voice full of anxiety.

Nicky frowned. "You had it while we were eating the fries and deep fried Oreos. I remember because Zach kept texting you."

Keeley grimaced, remembering the argument she had with her twin brother. He insisted she find another way home from the fair because he was giving Bianca Campbell a ride. Keeley mentally snorted at the thought. She knew full well what sort of "ride" Zach would be giving her. That type of ride was the exact reason why she refused to sit in the backseat of his car.

"Maybe you left it on the table?" Nicky suggested. She glanced at her watch and then strained her neck, trying to get a good look at the Ferris wheel line.

Keeley tried to remember if she had taken her phone with her after they finished eating. Her face paled. "Shit, I think I left it there." As soon as she said the words, Nicky's face dropped in disappointment. Her best friend knew the fair would be closing in ten minutes and there was no way they could get across the fairground to grab the phone and make it back in time.

Instantly, Keeley picked up on her friend's discontent and made a quick decision. "Get in line. I'll meet you there," she yelled over her shoulder, as she took off running in the opposite direction.

She weaved her way through the crowds as quickly as she could. Her heart pounded as she neared the eating area, praying her phone was still there. Keeley rushed to the table they had sat earlier and saw with great disappointment that the table was empty. She knew it had been a long shot but it still hurt to know it was gone. Mad and frustrated with herself for being so careless she kicked the chair. The chair toppled over making the people around her stop and stare.

Embarrassed at her immature behavior, she muttered a quick apology and bent down to pick it up. As she righted the chair, she noticed a phone lying amidst the grass and dirt. Hope burst in chest as she grabbed it. Sure enough, it was her phone! Relieved to have it back in her possession, she let out a huge sigh. Keeley quickly thrust it in her purse and raced toward the Ferris wheel, hoping Nicky was still in line.

"Did you find it?" Nicky asked as soon as she saw Keeley approach.

Keeley couldn't contain the grin that spread across her face. "Got it!" she happily announced. She leaned around the couple in front of them to get a better idea of how long they had to wait. Keeley counted six people and knew Nicky would get her wish.