Chapter 13: Servants

A few days after they arrived at the manor, Lillian found time to sneak away from the Count. Grell can entertain him for a half-hour... She went back to the guest-servant-quarters and grabbed a small box from underneath her pillow, then found an empty hallway. After double checking to make sure the rooms didn't have any occupants for the moment, she sat on the wooden floor and opened the box. Inside were a couple of envelopes, folded pieces of stationary, and an ink well and quill. Lillian opened one of the envelopes and pulled out the letter from Renae. 

She unfolded a blank sheet of paper. Now, how should I reply? 

Sitting criss-cross in her maid outfit, with the box in her lap as her surface to write on, she started to brainstorm what to write. I bet He'll have this checked, so I can't say much... She dipped the tip of the quill into the well and let the excess ink drip back. 

        Renae,

        I'm glad to hear everything's getting better. Work here's like it is there, except we actually work on occasion (and it's not as bad as you think). But everything is different in one way or another. When you get the chance, you definitely need to come visit. You'd fit right in at the Dispatch!

Lillian put the quill into the well and read over what she had so far and sighed. Now the hard part...

        As for "the Boss", quit trying to make him mad! He's just doing his job, and I don't think you'll survive much longer poking at his temper. And as for that invite to the reunion, say yes and do

"Pardon me, miss," a voice broke her concentration mid-sentence. She practically jumped at the sight of the tall figure that seemed to come from nowhere. When she realized it was the demon, she closed her letters and glanced at the floor, forcing herself to not stab him with her pen. 

Sebastian smirked. "Did I startle you?"

"A little bit," she said as timidly as she could.

"My apologies," he said, "but I was wondering what Count d'Orléans' maid was doing, away from her post?"

"I thought Grell could-- why, is he needing me?"

"I don't believe he is, at the moment."

She brushed her hair behind her ear, still avoiding eye contact. "I wanted to write a quick letter while the sun was still up, so... I took an early break..." She shot a glance at the butler. Up close, his onyx-colored hair framed his jawline and accented his bloodstained eyes more than she had realized. He really doesn't look half-bad... for a demon...

"As a servant to someone like the Count, you should always be ready to serve him, and put his time ahead of yours."

Is he lecturing me?! "I understand... But he has Grell if it's an emergency. Besides, it's just one letter..."

"If I were you, I would finish and see what the Count requests of you. He might be looking for you as we speak." He began to walk away. Under her breath, Lillian couldn't help but mutter, "Like you're in charge of me..."

"No," he replied. Lillian bit her lip when she realized he heard her. "I'm simply one hell of a butler," he said, then disappeared down the hall.

*******

"Lilly, have you seen my scarf?" 

She rolled her eyes and glanced at a gold piece of fabric hanging on the top of his canopy bed. "No, sir. I'm afraid not."

Ellis put his hands on his hips. "Seriously?" He turned around. "Well, how bad do I look in this?" He wore a white, pirate-ish shirt, dark brown pants-- that were more like shorts with his heighth-- and a stiff, olive jacket with golden embroidery. His hair was the same way he always wore it; long, shaggy, and barely pulled back. I doubt a stupid scarf can help... "You don't look bad at all, sir."

"Eh, now you're lying to me." He waved her complement away.

"I wouldn't lie to you, sir. Besides,  the party isn't until tomorrow." She smirked. It might take him all night just to get dressed for dinner...

"Whatever. Go find Sutcliffe. You two should help with the decorations or something."

"Yes, sir." She walked out of the room and gladly shut the door behind her.

*******

Draped from the chandelier were multicolored ribbons. Mey-Rin nearly fell, twice, off her ladder as she was hanging them up. Bard was kicked out of the kitchen, so he kept busy by setting up the refreshment table. And Finny was left to pick as many decent flowers as he could and help Mey-Rin decorate. 

"So... what do we do?" Grell asked.

"I dunno," Lillian said bluntly, "should I ask your boyfriend?"

He shook his head. "That might get him agitated. And as charming as he is when he's in a mood, the last thing I want is for you to be the newest target of abuse~...

"Hey, he doesn't like me so far. I don't care if he loses his cool."

"What?" Lillian told him of her first encounter with Sebastian. "He probably smelled Death on you."

"Oh I know he did. And I could smell it on him, just not as strong as I was expecting a full-fledged demon to carry around. But the more he sees me around you, the more he'll suspect it's just your stink."

"Hey, if it makes him think of me I'm alright with it~," Grell laughed. "Uh oh... check out Little-Miss-Klutzy..."

The poor maid was dangling from the light fixture, one foot on the tilted ladder as she screamed for help. Bard and Finny were out of the room.

"Well, third time's a charm," Lillian sighed, and they ran to her aid. She grabbed the leg of the ladder and pulled it back in place, swatting away the fallen ribbons from her face. "Mey!" Grell said anxiously.

"Can you reach the ladder?!" Lillian yelled. Before she could respond, Mey-Rin's hands slipped and she fell, landing on Grell. Lillian snorted as Grell dramatically laid on the ground, momentarily dazed by the impact. She helped Mey-Rin up. "Good work, Grell! 'You two alright?"

"Because of Mr. Grell I am, yes!" Mey-Rin said, still shaking. "Thank you!"

"Grell, how 'bout you?" She got a moan as a reply. "Good! Mey, I think you should avoid the decor."

"I-I think that'd be best, yes indeed..."

"Here," she picked up the loose bundle of ribbons and tossed onto Grell's back. "You're in charge of that now."

Mey-Rin fixed her glasses. "B-But Grell isn't allowed to work alone!"

"Maybe not when he was last here. He's fine: 'been trained by Sebby, and two top-notch butlers at our last employer's." She lightly kicked his shoulder, causing him to twitch. "Just don't do something stupid, 'kay? Mey and I will go see if Sebastian has any work for us. C'mon, Mey."

*******