Chapter 13 <Esmeralda>

Magnus got me dressed in new, clean clothing and carried me all the way to his truck. It was a little embarrassing since we passed a couple of people that were from the club. They stared at me with looks that could be perceived as jealousy or shock. I only hid my face in Magnus' chest.

We drove back home and pulled up to his penthouse. When I looked I could see that the lights were on which probably meant his nephew was home. I felt insecure and scared since I could tell Carter wasn't too fond of me but Magnus reassured me that this pink haired man was like that with everyone. Everyone except for Magnus and his own daughter. I admit I grew a bit more nervous knowing there was a two year old in there too. Kids were so pure and innocent. And I helped ruin kids like that. That's what made me nervous.

I held onto Magnus's neck as he stepped inside finally and closed the door behind us. He slowly placed me down and helped me take off my shoes, setting them aside with his own. I could hear soft giggling and a deeper voice whispering gently. I slowly walked towards the voices, following them with Magnus behind me. I blinked slowly as I found myself in what looked like the living room which was large. Carter was on a large couch that looked like it could recline. Sitting with him was a little girl with thick curly hair, a dark but still light complexion, and gold eyes just like Carters. Just like Magnus'. Freckles scattered along her little chubby cheeks and her little lips were formed into a toothy smile. She giggled and clapped her hands happily as Carter sang softly to her. It was a random kids nursery rhyme but she seemed to be enjoying it.

Then she took notice to me and slowly stopped giggling. I felt guilty for ruining such a perfect moment for once and backed away slightly. She looked behind me and smiled again.

"Maggus!" She cheered, scooted off the couch and running towards us. I quickly stepped aside in surprise and watched as Magnus grinned widely, crouching down to scoop her up.

"Hey, Olivia, are you keeping your daddy up," he asked, standing straight up. Olivia giggled and tilted her head innocently.

"No," she stated simply, hugging the big man. She looked back at me and blinked.

"Hi," she waved at me. I hesitated but waved back smiling awkwardly.

"Hi..." I whispered, shifting in my stance uncomfortably. I bit my lip Magnus sat down with her. She chatted with him and he pretended like he could actually understand her odd babbling. I laughed at him silently as he just took her seriously.

She seemed very chatty. Which might me a problem for me if she actually tries to talk to me. I'd freak.

"She's not bad," I looked up at Carter who stared at me from where he sat.

"Huh?" I asked slowly.

"She's a kid, she's not going to judge you. She can barely pronounce the word blueberry," He smiled slightly. "So don't look at her like she's gonna hate you. Or like you'll hate her. As long as you nod at her, you'll be just fine," He said and leaned back, watching his daughter play.

Magnus glanced at us with a slight smirk and sighed. "C'mere, Esme," He said, patting a spot next to him.

"I'm...I'm fine over here, thanks," I said, shaking my head. Magnus arched his eyebrow and gave me a look that told me 'that wasn't a request'. I gulped slightly and sighed walking over to them and sitting next to Magnus.

"There we go," He sighed, wrapping his arms around my shoulder slowly. I relaxed a bit and stared at Olivia. She looked at me and grabbed a toy of hers. It was a little horse figurine.

"Play?" She asked, smiling as she held the odd toy out. I stared at it.

"Um...No, it's okay." Gently shaking my head, I pushed the toy away slightly. She seemed to pout, her lower lip sticking out dramatically.