| Chapter 8 || Battle and Honour |

Hello, Readers! As you may be able to see (if you read both) The Unknown Destiny won't be posted today. Dylan_Walts and I were really busy and had no ideas about what we should write for the next chapter. We're still trying to figure out where it's supposed to go, so please bear with us. We're trying out best and that's all any of us can do.

~CSP2708~

*Dylan_Walts*

| Chapter 8 |

| Battle and Honour |

He moved so fast that everything around him was still. Adrenalin raced through his whole body; his heart thundering in his chest and blood roaring in his ears. He was vaguely aware of his brothers and Darius at his side, slightly behind him as he took the brunt of the army they faced, but he couldn't focus on them at this point in time. It was like an ocean pouring into him, split down the ridge of his blade and spilling in either side of him in slim pickings for his companions.

Time didn't seem to exist, because it seemed like only seconds later that the army was gone from around them. The surge ceased, and though it seemed like only moments of fighting, the sky darkened to a bright auburn at their backs, illuminating the fluffy clouds with vibrant blush tones.

The only opponent remaining was the giant. Percy didn't know who it was, but if he knew anything about monsters, he would probably introduce himself.

"You! Demigod heroes! I am impressed by your efforts, but they are in vain, for I cannot be defeated by mere demigod hands alone! And I see no god here to help you whelps!" he bellowed. Shaking his head of locks of black snakes for hair, he glared at the four small adversaries before him. Thirty feet of reptilian flesh stomped forward; his three green scaled toes indenting the ground where he stood.

"I don't think so!" Percy cried up at the giant at the top of his voice. "So, before we crush you, I think we should know your name!"

He scowled. "Puny creature! I am Enceladus! Bane of Athena!"

Behind me, Darius growled lowly. "He's meant to replace my mother. I will not let that happen."

"Sorry, but you guys need to go free Hera. That's what we're supposed to do, and I know you will do it." Percy gave them a smile because he knew what he had to do. He had to face this giant alone. He was the distraction for them to pass and save the queen.

"No! Percy, you must be crazy! You can't fight a giant without a god, let alone by yourself!" Orion protested.

"I have to," Percy insisted. "I... feel like this is what I'm supposed to do. I need to distract him so you can complete your quest. Besides, you don't need to worry about me taking all the fun. I'm sure there will be a few giants waiting for you once you get there." He tried to spring a joke on them, maybe it would soften the blow, but that didn't seem to work, as they only glared at him.

"If Percy feels like this is what he must do, then he must do it," Theseus said, interrupting any further argument. "Let's go. We don't have much time."

With them gone, Percy approached his adversary. He wiped the last of the monster gore from the blade of his sword and charged. The others were long gone before he even managed to land a blow, but with his quick movements and nimble feet, he hit the giant. The blade cut through his flesh easily, sending blood spewing all the way down the back of the giant's leg from as high as his knee.

Now wounded, the giant's movements were slower, faltering as pain washed through him in waves; it gave Percy a chance to attack, again and again, and Percy took that chance. With each swipe of his sword, Percy landed another attack, wearing down his opponent. There was no way to kill Enceladus without the help of a god, but the least he could do was slow it down.