𝟎𝟔

❝if you could read my mind you'd be in tears

❝if you could read my mind you'd be in tears.❞

THE pain of my aching ribs woke me up. Ponyboy was no longer in bed, and my sheets had traces of blood throughout them. Slowly, I did my best to sit up.

I groaned as I got up off of my bed. My face was extra swollen today, and even the slightest touch against it made me wince. I hobbled to my door and opened it, where I discovered Darry making breakfast. He was making eggs.

"H-Hey, Dar," I stuttered out, looking at my brother. He turned to look at me, and when he saw my condition, Darry rushed over to me and cautiously helped me to the kitchen table.

"Logan, next time you try and move have one of us help you." Darry laughed, and I nodded. "Anyway, good morning. How you feeling, kiddo?" he continued, tending to the eggs he was making.

"Bad," I groaned, gently rubbing my temples. My red hair was tangled in messy French braids, and I looked pretty awful. My oldest brother frowned upon me, and I looked up at him. He gave me a look of concern, but I just brushed it off.

I looked down to realize that blood started to seep through the Gone With The Wind shirt I was wearing, but Darry hadn't noticed it yet, so I didn't tell him. My stomach was burning, but I ignored it.

Suddenly, Dallas burst through the door, and I immediately shot up, only to regret that later. Darry warned me not to do that again, and I nodded, hobbling over to Dally. I grabbed his denim jacket off of a chair and handed it to him. "S-Sorry about your jacket. I-I wanted to wash it, but D-Darry wouldn't let me and it l-looks like he didn't b-bother to do it." I apologized, a sincere look of honestly in my blue eyes.

Dally just let out a big laugh, "Are you kidding me? Log, you just got beat up by God knows how many Socs and you're apologizing about my jacket? Don't worry about it! I'm sure in hell gonna beat up the guys who did this to you." he finished, getting serious towards the end. I nodded sheepishly, and Dal helped me back to my chair in the kitchen.

"Hey, Logie-Bear." Ponyboy said softly as he walked out of the bathroom. He placed a gentle kiss on my forehead before pulling out a chair and sitting next to me. He looked over at me in concern, and I rested my head on his shoulder.

"Has the pain gotten any better?" Pony asked as he placed his head on top of mine. I whispered a 'no' just as Darry placed eggs in front of us. Soon enough, Sodapop came into the kitchen and grabbed the jam out of the refrigerator. He spread some on his eggs (personally, I think it's disgusting but he likes it) before digging in.

Ponyboy took a quick glance down at my stomach, before his eyes widened. I followed his eyes and reassured him that I was okay, "It's just some blood from last night, I'm okay. I promise." I lied, but he nodded and went back to eating his food.

After I was done eating, Dallas came back into the kitchen and took my plate, forcing me to sit down when I wanted to help out. Johnny came bursting through the door, and I looked at him in confusion. He came over to me and whispered a quick, "Thank you for yesterday. I'm sorry you had to get hurt, it should've been me."