Chapter 1 - A Human in a World of Monsters

General POV

Hometown. 

A small town where Monsters and Humans lived in peace. A harmony that should NEVER fall apart. The break of this harmony would create a war and thousands would suffer of it.
Despite this, only one human lived there.

Kris. 

A human child. He doesn't talk much and seems always bothered by something but in the end, it's just his way of being. He's low talkative, always lost on his mind. He has brown hair, red eyes, and always wears his favorite green sweater with blue jeans whenever he can.

He was sleeping peacefully on a Friday morning until someone called him.

"KRIS!" a female voice echoed. He didn't open his eyes but started listening to this familiar voice, still very sleepy. "Kris, if you do not wake up, we will be late for school! I will wait outside for you, alright?" The woman said and proceeded to open the window before leaving his bedroom.

He recognized this voice. Toriel, a very nice monster who had adopted him since he was little. She's a teacher in a nearby school and even though she's not his biological mother, Kris loved her like one. The way she said they'll be late for school really showed how much she cared for Kris' education. 

He opened his eyes slowly and got up. Surprisingly, he was already dressed for school. No big deal with problems with clothes for him. A simple green sweater with a yellow trace was more than enough. No need to brush his hair either. He didn't care what others would think, just what he thought of himself mattered.

He started to head downstairs. Toriel was waiting so he went to the bathroom, did what he had to do, and left without eating anything.

Outside was Toriel, standing near her red van. Kris could now see what she was wearing. She was using her typical glasses, wore a light purple dress with the symbol of Delta rune and pink pants.

"Kris! There you are! We might still be able to make it!"

They both entered the vehicle.

"Kris... It's a beautiful day today, is it not?" Toriel said as she started the engine. "I hope it stays this way when ASRIEL visits us next week. But I wonder... With the excitement of university... Will he still enjoy coming home to this little town...?"

Kris simply stared at Toriel, thinking about his brother. Asriel, his one and only brother who left a long time ago to go the college and soon have a job of his own. This remembered Kris of good times with him. Every time they played video games, the time they spent with their family in family activiries and even when they fought for the smallest of toys. Kris' only company left and now he was always alone. He had Toriel but Toriel was a mother figure, not a friend to spend all day with. And Asriel was more than a friend... he was a true brother to Kris. Even not being his brother by blood, Kris considered him his brother like Toriel considered Kris her son. Since he left, Kris has been sadder than usual although Toriel always tried to cheer him up.

Not having her question answered, Toriel drives through the short path to the local school. Familiar faces waving at them in the way, such is the life on a small town. Dad Cat, Catty, Bratty, and even a small Froggit appeared there.

Toriel parked in the weirdly only space available for cars and they both exited the car. Kris opened the door and waited for Toriel to get out too so they could enter together. The goat monster grabbed his hand and lead them inside the building. The door had the symbol of Delta rune too. Kris didn't know the meaning but it seemed quite important to have been resembled everywhere in the small town.