ii. THE GET-TOGETHER

WHEN ICARUS rang the doorbell, he sighed as he shoved his hands into his pocket, he starts to get nervous about this whole thing then the door opened. "Icarus!" Millicent said with a grin at him and he nods. "Hey." He only said in response to her then she leads him into the house. "We're all in the backyard." She said, shutting the door. Out by the pool, Steve and Tommy were standing while Barb and Nancy just sat on the chairs near by.

"Cigarette?" Steve said when he saw Icarus by Millicent. "I got my own.." He says when he looked at the cigarette Steve held out. "Okay.." Steve says then looks at Millicent who takes the cigarette right away. Tommy grabs Millicent who he tries to throw into the pool as Icarus sat down on one of the chairs, between Barb and Nancy. Millicent starts screaming, telling Tommy to put her down and to stop it, which he did. Eventually. "What's up?" Icarus nods to Barb who just looks at him then looked away. He rolls his eyes as Steve walked by, putting a beer on his chest which he grabs right away to open and drink.

Nancy watches Steve cut a hole into the beer can which he opens the top of, chugging it completely. "Is that supposed to impress me?" Nancy asked so Icarus looks over. "You're not?" Steve asked before reaching into his pocket for his lighter. "You are a cliché, you do realize that?" Nancy says as Icarus looked away, rolling his eyes. "You are a cliché. With your.. your grades and your band practice." Steve says before lighting up his cigarette.

"I'm so not in band." Nancy says. "Okay, party girl. Why don't you just, uh, show us how it's done, then?" Steve says and Nancy is happy to comply. "Okay." She says before grabbing a beer. "You gotta make a hole in the bottom—" "I got it." Nancy said before Steve can finish explaining how to do it to her, so he raised his hands, defensively. "Yeah, she's smart, you douche!" Tommy says before he is crushing his now empty can onto his head.

"At least we know you aren't.." Icarus mumbled underneath his breath as he continued to smoke the cigarette between his two fingers. "Chug, chug, chug," the three chant and Icarus starts joining as he raised his beer. Tommy starts whooping loudly as Nancy dropped the empty can.

"Barb, do you wanna try?" Nancy asked when she noticed her friend being not so into the party. "What? No." Barb says but Nancy grabs a beer anyway. "No, I don't want to. Thanks." She says. "Come on.." Nancy says before going over to her. "Yeah, come on. Yeah." Steve said and Icarus looks at Barb. She looked uncomfortable. "Nance, I don't want to." She says but Nancy held out the beer anyway. "Just.. just give it a shot." She says and Icarus looks at Nancy. "She said no.." He says.

"It'll be fun." Nancy said to him then looked at Barb, nodding with a smile. "Okay.." Barb said, standing up and Icarus sighs. "So you just.." The bespectacled girl said then tried to cut the hole, only to cut herself. "Gnarly." Tommy said as Icarus stood up. "Are you okay?" He asked the same time as Nancy. "Yeah.." She said, trying to hide it.

"Barb, you're bleeding." Nancy says. "I'm fine." Barb says to her then looked at Steve. "Where's your bathroom?" She asked him and he stands up. "Oh, it's uh.. it's uh, down past the kitchen, to the left," he said as he walks past Icarus and Nancy. "Okay, thanks.." Barb said and Millicent chuckles. "Wow.." She whispers and Icarus looks at her. Tommy looks at Millicent in front of him.

Then he shoves her into the pool, she screams as she got to the surface. "Oh my God! I'm gonna kill you, Thomas!" She yells at him and he laughed before jumping in. Steve pushes Nancy in then looks at Icarus who holds up his hand. "Push me in and the cops will find your corpse all decomposed covered in worms and maggots in a ditch weeks from now!" He threatened but Steve still pushed him in before he is jumping into the pool too.

Icarus wanted to hate Steve for it, he really did but he actually felt like a normal teenager for once as they all swam around, splashing water at each other, laughing and actually having fun.