[ CHAPTER EIGHT ]

999 A.D

The roast rabbit stew Esther had cooked was beyond delicious, though the company wasn't as appealing, unfortunately

As she spooned the steaming stew into her mouth, Astrid was well aware of Mikael's lecherous gaze on her. She was regretting her decision to wear such a tight-fitting gown.

Sending a polite smile to her mother-in-law, Astrid spoke up. "The stew is lovely, Esther. You'll have to give me the recipe."

Beaming at the compliment, Esther quickly recovered, shrugging nonchalantly. "Kol was the one who hunted the rabbits, without him I wouldn't have been able to make the stew." She responded humbly.

Kol, who sat opposite her grinned proudly, his elbows resting on the table as he leaned forward. "Told you my aim was good, darling."

Seated around the long, oak table, Astrid was surrounded by the Mikaelson clan. At the head of the table, Mikael sat, his inquisitive dark eyes making Astrid feel uneasy, not that Esther- who sat obediently to his right, seemed to notice.

All of Niklaus' siblings were in attendance, even little Henrik who was beginning to yawn and rub his eyes tiredly.

Sat by her side, Niklaus was resting a hand on her thigh, his touch indicating his need for comfort and support.

Although Niklaus had never admitted to her, Astrid had suspected Mikael had somehow hurt him. The subject of his father was a delicate one which would usually change rather quickly.

But Astrid was no fool, she had seen the faded scars that marred the fair skin of his back.

If he hadn't been so anxious, Astrid supposed Nik would have rolled his eyes at Kol's poised attitude.

"She's right, mother. This must be the best stew yet." Rebekah piped up, fluttering her eyes prettily as she scooped the stew onto her spoon.

Kol simply snorted, shaking his head at the comment. "Anything's better than cabbage soup." He responded, his nose twitching in distaste at the dish they would usually eat throughout winter.

Instead of channelling any aggression, Mikael let out a laugh, banging his fist against the table. Bewildered glances were discreetly exchanged around the table.

Poor Henrik jolted in surprise at the booming sound of his father's laughter before Rebekah placed a comforting hand on her brother's shoulder.

Noticing the small gesture, Astrid frowned, it seemed they were all afraid of Mikael. "You are right, son."

"I am?" Kol murmured quietly, however, Mikael didn't seem to hear him as he turned his attention to Astrid.

Leaning forward, Mikael took a sip of his ale before his dark eyes met hers. "Tell me, girl. How is marriage treating you? Is Niklaus satisfying your needs." His tone was sharp and intruding.