[ CHAPTER NINE ]

1000 A.C

It was bewildering to think ten whole moons had passed since the day of their wedding, time seemed to be ticking by at an exhilarated pace

Humming a hearty ode under her breath, Astrid absent-mindedly placed the rolls of the freshly baked bread in the basket, flouncing round the kitchen at a pace a pregnant woman wouldn't normally use.

Once all the hot rolls were placed securely in the wicker basket, Astrid leaned against the wooden chair, her hand falling to the prominent swell of her stomach, a smile gracing her lips.

As soon as she had missed her moon blood, Astrid had gone to see Esther, who had confirmed Astrid's hopeful expectation. She was with child.

Now approaching the end of her pregnancy, Astrid was almost nine moons along, and though the concept of birth worried her, she was excited that herself and Niklaus would soon meet their little one.

It was strange for Astrid to look back at the time she hadn't wanted to marry Niklaus, however, now she cared deeply for him, she even loved him.

The announcement of her being with child had brought them closer than ever, Niklaus had vowed not to become his father, he would never raise a hand to his child.

Placing the basket of bread on her hip, Astrid made her way out the house, swiftly closing the door behind her.

As soon as she walked through the bustling courtyard, Kol spotted her, his brows furrowed before he quickly rushed forward, snatching the basket from her. "Hey!"

Kol shrugged, holding the basket in his arms. "I believe someone told you to take it easy."

Shaking her head, Astrid snorted. "Are you going to tell tales to your mother? Hmmm. Oh, Kol, you've changed." She teased, making him grin.

"Well, what can I say. I see a damsel in distress, I like to swoop in!" Kol responded cheerily making her giggle.

Before either Kol or Astrid could make another comment, Niklaus approached them from behind, abruptly snatching the basket from Kol's grip. "I can help my wife, thank you Kol." Nik's tone was sharp.

Scowling, Kol nodded. "Very well, take it easy Astrid. And before I go, I must say, pregnancy makes you look ravishing." Sending his brother a smirk, Kol quickly rushed away before Nik could chase after him.

Sighing, Astrid turned to Niklaus, shaking her head in disbelief. This had been happening a lot lately, ever since she fell pregnant, Niklaus had become extremely protective, especially around Kol.

She was well aware that Nik disapproved of her relationship with Kol, but he was her friend.

"You didn't need to do that." Astrid commented quietly as they began making their way towards her mother's house.