EIGHTEEN

2075

Jaden's dark eyes were fixed on him, staring at him with something that resembled regret. Alexander held the AgeFinder in hands that were wet with sweat, nervousness fluttering in his stomach.

"How are you feeling?" Alex asked, sitting in the plastic chair next to the bed. It was the first time he'd been able to speak with the other man since the accident. He'd been in the room briefly when he first awoke, but they were made to leave not long after so Jaden could rest. Any other time they'd been allowed in the room, Alexander had let Jaden's parents in to talk to him first. By the time they came out the younger man had gone back to sleep.

"Sore," Jaden said in a quiet voice. He glanced down at Alex's hands. "You brought the AgeFinder?"

"Well, yeah," Alex said, looking down at the device. "You wanted it fixed. I haven't had time to drop it off somewhere. I only just got it back."

"Back from where?"

"I might have left it in the back of the ambulance," Alex said sheepishly. Jaden let out a laugh, the noise causing Alex to relax a little. With a sharp hiss and a groan of pain the laughter cut off. "Sorry, I didn't mean for you to hurt yourself."

"Nah, it's the nurses fault," Jaden said. "They won't give me any more painkillers."

"I can talk to them about it if you want," Alex suggested.

"No, leave it. I think it's some legal thing." With a sigh, Alex let his hand drift along the hospital gown at Jaden's side, the only part of him he could touch without causing pain. The other man sighed, closing his eyes and sinking down into the bed.

"I'm so sorry," Alexander muttered, looking down at the bed. Jaden was covered in bandages and casts, needles hooking him up to IV drips and a heart monitor, the beeping the only constant thing in the room. He couldn't move his arms much due to the fractures, and his leg was hoisted up above the bed. It was ugly and Alex hated seeing him in such a state.

"What the hell for?" Jaden asked, eyes snapping open. "You didn't do this to me."

"You were trying to get to me-"

"And I should have looked where I was going," Jaden interrupted. "Don't you dare blame yourself for my stupidity, you hear me?"

"Yeah, I hear you," Alex muttered.

"What was up with you then, anyway? You looked really upset. Did something happen?" Jaden asked, concern lacing his voice. His shook his head. "Actually, never mind that. I have a more important question. Why the hell are the doctors and nurses calling you my soulmate?"

"Those two questions kind of relate to each other," Alex started.

"Well, could you explain to me, please? Because I am very confused right now," Jaden started. "I mean, obviously I have met my soulmate at some point. I wouldn't be here if I hadn't, but I don't get why they're saying it's you. Didn't you tell me a week ago that you weren't ageing?"

"Yeah, just shush for a second and I'll explain everything," Alex said, looking at him with tired eyes. He hadn't slept much over the last few days and bags had formed under his eyes.

"I swear to God, if you told them we're soulmates so you could come and talk to me, I'm either going to punch you or kiss you, maybe both," Jaden muttered, causing Alexander to chuckle a little. Jaden grinned at him.

"That's not why. I'm pretty sure your parents would murder me if I did that," Alex said with a laugh. "Um, I had your AgeFinder fixed by Saturday morning and was getting Isaac to test it to make sure it worked. Obviously, it said he was ageing-"