Part Six. Chapter Nine. Michael

In the end, I did not speak to my mother that evening beyond confirming it was me.  She tugged at the lock for a few moments, complaining to anyone who would listen that she could not open it in order to see me before being guided on her way by someone.

My mother was a ridiculously kind soul and very innocent of thought.  She was born an omega, so naturally loveable and it was not unusual to find that the omega was mated to a Beta, warrior or even the Alpha thanks to the hand of the Goddess.  But even so, I couldn't help but wonder why she always seemed ill matched to my father.

Whereas my father was secretive and proud, my mother was as open as a book, verbally and emotionally. Of course, this made her vulnerable to being used, so my father kept her carefully within the bubble that he had formed and inside the pack house.  My father was also built like a house, sturdy and like steel, mother was a bouncy beauty of five foot nothing.  It's shocking to think that she could bring into this world not one potential Alpha child, but three and live to tell the tale.  Growing up, I thought that this was normal, that their extreme opposite natures balanced them, but now, I wasn't so sure. But who was I to question the Goddess, she had given me the two people most perfect for me.

I spent the night fitfully, I tossed and turned on that ridiculous old mattress, while my wolf howled inside me wanting his mates.  In fact, the one time I did drift to sleep, the beast must have taken over; my clothes were torn and no longer fit for purpose and there were huge scratches in the door.  Much of the furniture had been overturned as well.  I woke up as naked as the day I was born to the click of the lock being removed.  I wrapped what was left of the sheets around me as I prepared for whoever it was that was entering.

Mother entered the room beneath the shadow of Giles, a tray with a meal that could have fed three grown males upon it.  The Beta clearly looked concerned, as if worried that he was letting my mother do this against my father's wishes.  Concerned as well, perhaps, that the woman could easily be overpowered by me should I chose.  He was worried over nothing.  She was probably the one person in this pack that I could never attack.

My mum looked up at Giles and gave him a slight look of disdain.  "Shoo," she said to him.  "You can go now, Giles."  It seemed ridiculous that my mum was talking down to this man as she was, but as omegas were not intimidated by the aura's of other wolves, it probably never occurred to her to fear him.  Of course, it helped that she was also the Luna.

Giles reluctantly shut the door behind him and mum turned to me, beaming, her round face full of cheer and her bright blue eyes glassy.  "Hey mum," I greeted her, carefully taking the tray off of her and placing it on the bed.

Her frown returned as she glanced over my... situation.  "What happened to your clothes?"

"My wolf was restless," I replied.  He must have been been loose for a while as well considering that he was snoring at the back of my mind, growling every so often as he rested.  It was distracting to say the least. "He wants his mates."

"Mates?" She tilted her head as if slightly confused. "But you haven't met your mate yet. I heard your father state that she is coming over today for lunch."

I sighed. How much of a delusion was this pack under? I patted her hands, gently and moved to glance out of the clearly locked and barred window. I ran my fingers along the seal thinking how I had once used this as an exit when my wolf and I could no longer take being separated from Eric. Our bond had been strong from the beginning, no matter how either of us might have mentally rejected it at first, we had needed each other.

"Mum, I didn't come back to the pack to meet some she-wolf," I told her, honestly. I wasn't going to shield her from this. I used to think protecting her from certain things was the correct thing to do, I thought wolves were made for protecting the Luna and following the Alpha. What a fool I had been moulded into! I now knew better, but she didn't. We were not protecting her, we were keeping her ignorant so that she was weak against her mate. "The Alpha has my mate locked up in the basement."