Chapter Twenty-One: Land And Sea

Night rode in on a stead of pure midnight velvet; so swiftly that Camille had barely realised the time until the nearby shops started flicking on their illuminating signs

Night rode in on a stead of pure midnight velvet; so swiftly that Camille had barely realised the time until the nearby shops started flicking on their illuminating signs. There was a sky somewhere above the tops of these towering buildings, with stars and a moon and all the things there are in a sky, but it was obscured by the thick pollution and plentiful skyscrapers. The clear horizon was probably what Camille missed most about Amnesty Bay, but she had contented herself to pretending that the distant street lights were planets and stars. It made the city seem a little less industrialised.

Mera didn't understand Camille's problem with the lack of stars, but that was because she rarely saw the sky at all. It just looked like another ocean to her...a very weird ocean. In truth, Mera interpreted Camille's long rants about the unseeable moon as her way of avoiding the current situation. She was returning to Atlantis, and the nerves that jittered through her body begged her mind to focus on something else. Anything else.

"We just need to find Kaldur before we leave." Mera said slightly louder than necessary, hoping that this would bring Camille's attention back to their goal. It must have worked because the officer almost swerved her car off the road completely.

"You brought Kaldur?!" She responded breathlessly. The shock had almost knocked all of the oxygen out of her lungs. "Where did you leave him?"

Mera twirled a long strand of crimson hair around her index finger, bright cerulean eyes staring upward as if this would help her remember. "Somewhere near the pier...I think."

Camille almost felt like banging her head against the steering wheel until she passed out. Today had been a long day, and it still wasn't even close to being over. Instead though she simply clicked her blinker on and turned left in the direction of the closest beach; which was in a completely different town.

The journey there was tense. Mera spent most of her time flicking through radio stations curiously and then turning her nose up at the music. Camille, however, was battling the oncoming headache that pounded in her skull. It was a relief unlike any other she had felt before when she finally saw Kaldur's shadowy figure waiting by the sea.

Upon exiting the car Mera had practically dragged Camille over to him, eager to return home. "Do you still have it?"

Kaldur nodded and directed towards the table behind him. There sat the Atlantean suit and helmet that Camille had worn twice before. The restricting attire was a fairly unwelcome sight, but Kaldur certainly wasn't...he did look different though. Likely because he was no longer wearing Atlantean clothing. Instead he sported a pair of plain black jeans and a turtle-neck sweater that perfectly covered the gills on either side of his neck. "It is good to see you again, Camille. Thank you for agreeing to this."

"It's not like I had much of a choice." She answered, only half jokingly. "Nice outfit."

"I felt it appropriate to blend in." The man replied with a lopsided smile, but Mera only looked confused by his words.