Chapter 21

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

AVA

Newfound energy filled her bones at the weeks leading up to Meryn's starday — with their tests leading into winter break, her best friend readjusted from the torment he endured.

And today is when he's going to see his brother again. I hope it helps. He deserves it.

"We should go look for James and Rayan." Meryn hopped off the gym floor of Rayan's manor. "We have to go back to your house and wait for your dad to take us to the festival."

"I think they're in the backyard," Ava muttered and led him out of the training area and to the patio, and she stopped at the sight in front of her.

Mrs. Falae observed Rayan and James practising some Starcross plays. Ava opened the door to join them, and Rayan pushed past her brother with ease. Meryn peeked around her shoulder. "Either of them out of breath yet?"

"They're certainly tenacious." A warm laugh escaped Mrs. Falae, and she held out a plate of sweets, and Ava indulged in her longing for cloudy chocolate. "I wish some of our B.T recruits had as much fortitude as they do."

Meryn pressed his finger against his cheek, but Ava grinned when James swiped at Rayan, and tripped him with matched ease. Mrs. Falae came closer to Meryn with a smile, and Ava tipped her head back to look up at the icy blues. "I want to say happy birthday, Mr. Matthey."

Meryn glowed in the winter light. "Thanks, Mrs. Falae."

"Rayan!" Mrs. Falae called, her voice sharp and authoritative, and at her voice, he leaped straight into James' next attack. "It's almost time to go," she said with a giggle as Rayan rubbed his chest from where James struck it. "You don't want to be late to your first festival."

As the two joined them on the patio, Mrs. Falae set her hand on Meryn's shoulder. "You're not having any further trouble at the school?"

"No, Ma'am," Meryn said. "I think I'm doing better now, and thank you for letting Ava and I use the gym!" All of them journeyed into the main foyer, where Mrs. Falae saw them off the manor property which glittered with fairy lights donning the hedges for the Deccan celebrations.

"Have fun," she said.

Rayan waved his arms. "We will!"

Ava leaned closer to Meryn while they trekked through the snow mounds. "Are you excited?"

Meryn nodded, but pain filled the greys as he tucked his gloved hands between his arms. His smile, hollow.

James tipped his head. "Is something up?"

"No, not really," Meryn replied. "It's just..." He slumped into his shoulders with a misty huff. "It's going to be my first starday without Aelius. He's always so busy with the Sanctum Research Branch, I never get the chance to talk to him — he doesn't even live in the house anymore. He lives on the site."

Heavy secret locked in her heart, she gripped his shoulder. "We'll try and make this fun for you. You deserve a break, and we're here for you."

Meryn gave her a shy smile and they shuffled through the heart of Eastpoint. Lights dotted along the smaller buildings and shops to sprinkle the streets with a myriad of colourful hues. Classmates waved from across the street or through windows with Deccan sales at the front windows. Yvonne stood in front of the bakery on the corner of main street, a thoughtful expression twisting her pink lips.

"Yiv!" Ava said. "What are you up to?"

"I'm trying to see if they stocked Katie's favourite chocolate," she mumbled. "Twenty exal per pack." She raised her manicured fingers. "I might have enough to get myself something as well..."