Chapter 43: "Night Owls"

As soon as the door had shut completely and you heard Mr. Smith's loafers click against the old creaky steps, you spun around, looking at your three friends. "Well, let's make the best out of this unfortunate situation. I have work tomorrow at 10:00 AM, but I can stay up a bit longer." You spoke, smiling. Sans nodded in agreement to this, "I HAVE WORK TOMORROW TOO, BUT I DON'T GO IN UNTIL AROUND 12:00 SO I'LL BE FINE TOO! PAPY?" Sans replied, turning his head to face his older brother. You did as well and what caught you off guard was Papyrus was spaced out, staring straight at you.

You furrowed your eyebrows, and Sans crossed his arms. "PAPYRUS." He spoke bluntly and Papyrus jumped, a blush soon following. "nyeh? what is it, bro?" Papyrus asked, rubbing the top of his skull awkwardly and Sans leaned on one hip. "ARE YOU AN ASTRONAUT, BROTHER?" Sans asked and Papyrus blinked in confusion. "wha?" He spoke, puzzlement displayed on his face. "WELL, YOU SURE ARE SPACING OUT." Sans spoke and Maia soon developed a shit-eating grin, then eagerly gave Sans a high-five, laughing. You of course also laughed at Sans' joke, taking note of how proud he looked. And when you looked to see Papyrus, you saw him chuckling too. "oh, gee. yeah, bro. you can ask me what you were gonna earlier." Papyrus spoke and Sans nodded. "I WAS ASKING ABOUT THE WORK SITUATION TOMORROW (Y\N) HAS WORK AT 10:00 AND I DO AT 12:00. HOW'S YOUR SCHEDULE?" Sans explained, then promptly asked, shifting his weight again.

Papyrus seemed to think for a long time, humming to himself softly. "i don't go in until around 12:00 as well, but i'll walk (y /n) to work and stay at muffet's for a bit." He responded and Sans nodded. "ALRIGHT, THEN WE DO HAVE A BIT TO HAVE SLEEPOVER FUN!" Sans spoke giddily, the stars in his eye sockets twinkling. "How fun! I already have an idea too!" Maia grinned from ear to ear and this peaked Sans' curiosity. "OH? WHAT DO YOU HAVE IN MIND, MAIA?" He asked curiously.

Maia rubbed her hands together, grinning. Once her hands stopped moving, she clapped them together. "Okay," She began, her eyes scanning the room. "in sleepovers everyone sleeps in the same room, right?" She asked and everyone nodded. "Yeah, why?" You asked, furrowing your eyebrows and cocking your head to the side. "Because I was thinking you and Papyrus can take the couch and Sans and I can—" She paused for dramatic effect, looking around to build up the anticipation. "CAN? CAN WHAT? I'M DYING HERE, MAIA!" Sans complained, leaning forward slightly. Maia grinned at holding the idea seemingly above everyone's heads, then she backed down suddenly, realizing it was the perfect time to talk about her sublime plan. "BUILD A PILLOW FORT!" She squeaked excitedly and Sans' brilliant blue irises suddenly had a multitude of stars exploding within them as he clapped his small skeletal hands together excitedly. "YES, YES, YES! MAIA YOU ARE AN ABSOLUTE GENIUS! " He exclaimed, running forward and pulling her into a big hug.

"eyy, that's a dope idea. i like it, plus, her couch is hella comfortable." Papyrus chuckled, then tapped a phalange on his chin as he watched the two hug. "Aw, thanks. It was here when I bought this place, to be honest. So, who knows how many people have sweat on that thing." You giggled and he smirked, turning to you. "hey, i think it adds to its charm!" He snorted and you laughed in response.

Sans and Maia separated, then he grabbed her hand. "LET'S GO SEARCH IN EVERY NOOK AND CRANNY FOR BLANKETS AND PILLOWS GALORE!" He spoke enthusiastically before pulling her along into your bedroom. "There are a couple extra pillows in my closet if you need them! And don't forget to leave us some!" You called after him, but only got a simple "OKAY!" from Sans in response.

Papyrus chuckled, then reached into his pants pocket, pulling out a toothpick, placing it into his mouth swiftly. You let out a "hm" at this which caused him to look back down at you. "nyeh? what is it, kiddo?" He questioned as he began to chew in the toothpick. "It's just... I haven't noticed you smoking, or chewing on toothpicks as much recently." You spoke and he paused, his gaze looking toward the ceiling as he thought back. "huh, i guess i have gotten a bit better? maybe i'm just too distracted when I'm with you, huh?" He spoke and you shrugged your shoulders. "i mean, ya know, a stronger addiction can make one much smaller, and as i've said, i've become addicted to ya. i guess that's kinda numbed the other when i'm in your presence, honey." He theorized. You giggled, then placed a hand on your cheek. "Oh, geez. You're way too nice." You responded, looking away bashfully and he grinned at this.