Chapter 43

The group of remaining initiates stood crowded at one end of the room, anxiously waiting as Amar scribbled something onto the chalkboard in his hands. After a few seconds, he turned and lifted the board back above his head and onto the nail, stepping aside as he did so. The room fell silent while everyone searched for their names. It was crowded, but I had only to tilt my head up a little further to make out the list.

                My name was in the first slot.

                I could feel the eyes of everyone in the room on me, but I could only continue to stare at my name and the number next to it. My average simulation time; the most that I'd been able to last, was two minutes and thirty seconds. Banks was second; with his time being four minutes and ten seconds.

               Between the two of us, I didn't think the difference was too notable; the real problem came when my time was compared to everyone else's. It was then that things were conspicuously uneven. Dan was third, with an average of seven minutes, and then Grace at eight minutes and ten seconds.

               "Woah, nice job Sage," Grace said in awe.

               I couldn't think of anything to say, so I just nodded as I continued to stare at the board. I wasn't sure how to feel; on the one hand I was happy to see that I was still ranked first, but on the other I knew this would definitely draw unwanted attention to me. It was the best I'd been able to do though; my mind couldn't take more without completely distorting the simulation.

               Banks, who'd been at the front of the group, turned slowly and searched through the crowd; his eyes immediately landing on my own. Unlike Billy, who practically had smoke coming out of his ears, Banks appeared almost delighted at the outcome. Shoving brusquely past the crowd of initiates, he stalked forward, not stopping until he was only a foot away from me.

               I stayed in my place, crossing my arms and silently daring him to try and move me. My body itched for a fight, but if he wasn't going to attack, then I couldn't find it in me to warrant punching him in the face. Though I normally preferred peace to senseless fighting; in this instance, I almost wanted him to try and hit me. It was easier for me to handle things physically, and with all the fear simulations I'd had to endure these past few days, I really just wanted the release.

               But he didn't appear hostile, not at all. The feeling of deja-vu flooded my body as his frosty blue eyes studied me; like he had before, when we'd first arrived here and he'd snuck up behind me at the water fountain. Like then, slow and unnatural, he pulled his lips into a wicked grin. I hid the shudder than ran down my spine, and continued to glare. Why did he look so pleased? He'd been so upset when he'd lost our fight, I figured this would be no different.

               "Congratulations," he said softly, the eerie smile never leaving his lips. He almost appeared playful. I knew better though; my candor-trained ears caught the malicious undercurrent in his voice. "Enjoy it while you can."

               I didn't have time to react, because as soon as the words had left his mouth, he'd already turned and walked out of the room. I bristled and tried to go after him, but only managed to take a single step before a hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back. I turned, expecting to see Dan, and was surprised when I realized it was actually Billy.

               "What do you want?" I snapped, shrugging out from under his grip. Banks was getting away and I wanted to catch him before he got too far. I needed to know what he meant when he'd said, while you can.

               "How the hell did you do that?" Billy hissed, his hands clenching at his sides.

               "Do what?"