chapter six

C H A P T E R  S I X
• • •

I was about to say we'd already met, no need for an introduction, but he'd taken my hand in his before I could get a word out.

"Lovely to see you, Amara," his silky voice said, toying with my name in his mouth in such a way that I felt my knees tremble, and other parts of me tremble, too.

"You too, Mr Dreyton," I breathed, watching in amusement as he scowled slightly.

I realised then, amidst our stare off, that there were several people around us, each with their eyes on our little interaction. It couldn't have been more than mere moments that my hand was in his, but yet, it felt too long and I returned it to my side. I suddenly felt cold without his skin on mine, despite the warmth of the club.

"Amara, sit," Sebastian said, hurriedly realising his manners and budging Miller over to give me some space. "Have a drink with us."

I felt guilty leaving Kate, remembering her forlorn look and how upset she was, but knew that I wouldn't be able to get away from this. And, on the small chance that I could, it would only lead Miller to believe that he had an effect on me. Maybe— definitely— he did, but I didn't need him knowing that.

I eased myself beside him, sinking more deeply than I'd expected into the plush cushions. A hand on my hip steadied me when I momentarily lost my balance.

A harsh breath forced its way into my lungs at the contact, but it was gone before I could do something I'd regret— like faint.

Miller returned to conversation with Harry, something about shares that I didn't really want to keep up with when I wasn't forced to at work. Is this what these guys did for enjoyment?

"What do you do then, Amara?" Donald asked. I angled my legs towards him, knees brushing against Miller's in the process.

"I work in design," I said, wondering why I wasn't moving my legs away from Miller's. "Interior design, I mean."

His almost clear blue eyes seemed to glow under the light, flickering with genuine interest. I was grateful for him directing the conversation to something I felt comfortable with, something I could contribute to instead of just sitting, listening to their conversations like a sack of potatoes.

"That's brilliant!" He said, leaning on his forearms so we were a little closer. There were two people between us— Miller and Harry— so it was a little difficult to hear him over whatever it was they were talking about. "I've always been interested in design myself, but the wife usually handles that side of things for the house."

"Oh, really?" I said, finding myself being as genuine as he was. Usually, it was pretend wonder to keep the conversation from hitting a rut, but I found myself, strangely, able to actually be interested. "What about your office? Could you not try your skill there?"

He guffawed. "The wife's got in there, too," he said. "Wants it to feel like a home away from home, she says, so I don't miss them too much when I work late."

"She sounds lovely," I said, honestly.

"Yeah," his gaze wandered to the gold ring on his finger and a small smile appeared on his face. "She really is."

"Miller here's looking for a designer," Harry struck into the conversation. I turned to him, watching Miller out of my peripheral.

"She's actually already agreed to help me out," Miller said, closer than I'd realised, voice low and suggestive, but maybe that was just my imagination. I eased myself backwards as discreetly as possible, not trusting myself. "Pulling up plans, aren't you, Amara?"