Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen

"Aviva Arlington," the woman's voice calls.

Walking onto the stage, I accept my second diploma in three months. Six distinct voices cheer me on from the crowd and I can't help the smile on my face. Sitting back down in my seat I space out until the rest of the names are called and then we finally throw our caps. Wandering around I look for my family. I don't get very far before I am nearly tackled to the ground by a familiar redhead.

"We are so proud of you Aviva!" Genève practically yells in my ear.

"Thank you," I say, and I hug my dad. I had missed him, things can still be tense at times, but he is making a genuine effort to deal with everything.

"Congratulations honey, I am so proud of you," he says into my ear and I can't help my huge smile.

"Thanks, Dad," I say.

"Aviva!" Alexander yells and I hug my four friends, even Greyson. They all congratulate me, and I feel on top of the world.

I have never needed a lot, but I am more than happy with everything that I have. I am acclimating to M4 and they are in the process of redesigning everything to accommodate me. I would make my official debut at a press conference next week. I am actually pretty excited to be a part of the team. I have been training with them for a while and it has gotten progressively harder, yet more natural. Using my abilities and channeling the energy has gotten easier and I am not quite as restless as I was before.

"I'm starving, are we going to grab something to eat?" Alexander asks slinging an arm around my shoulder.

"We can," I say.

"I have a meeting downtown and I know Genève has to get back to work. But we can meet up tomorrow for dinner if you want Aviva," my dad says.

"Perfect,"

I say goodbye to my dad and Genève and the five of us all head out to lunch. We go someplace nice that I never even heard of it. As we are leaving the restaurant, I feel a massive energy shift somewhere downtown. My stomach churns violently as an uneasy feeling forms in my stomach. Lena turns to me and we exchange a look before she grabs me, and we are swallowed by shadows. We land in some back alleyway and she hands me a mask. I slip it on and switch out my flats for sneakers. I am already in pants, but I make my blazer disappear back to my apartment. We both pull our hair back and run out of the alleyway.

Looking down the street I see a slender frame standing in the middle of a huge four-way intersection. Cars have screeched to a halt, but two still have collided. Lena grabs me again and we land in the middle the sidewalk, right by the intersection. She runs over to the smashed cars and I turn my attention to the person in the middle of the intersection. I can't see their face, but I know exactly who it is.

"I was wondering how long it would take you to reappear," I say cautiously stepping through the cars into the middle of the intersection.

"Did you miss me?" Her voice grinds out, but it sounds even more choked and distorted than before.

"You are taking in a lot of energy, you need to stop, or you'll overwork yourself," I say trying to be the voice of reason.

"Silly child," she drawls out before she condenses the energy and hurls it at me. The ball starts to glow a faint green and I am startled by this.

Focusing on the mass of molecules and it disperses around me a mild burst of air. She throws another gust and I stop that one in its tracks. I hear her let out a growl of frustration before she starts shaking the ground. I drop to a knee and calm the vibrating atoms while drawling all of the extra electrical charges towards me. My body is buzzing with how much energy I am absorbing. She tries to rip the ground up around my feet, but I keep everything still.