Chapter 22

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

JAMES

Aelius' brown eyes twinkled in amusement when Meryn scrambled to his feet. "It's good to see you, Meryn."

Ava laughed and rushed to his side to steady him, and James smiled at his sister's wide smile. Her rare happiness, but exhaustion made it hard for him to echo her.

"Come on, Meryn," Ava teased. "You didn't honestly think your own brother would miss your starday."

Meryn stood there in a daze, and James hung on the edges of warmth while he trembled. He longed to battle his legs into moving to support his friend, but whether they had the strength to not crumble underneath him was a different story.

Aelius tapped himself on the chest with a smile, and Meryn moved in one fluid moment. He hugged Aelius, who returned the gesture without hesitation. "Happy Starday, Meryn, I wouldn't miss it for anything."

James gave Ava a thumbs up from behind his back, using Rayan as a shield so Meryn missed it. Ava smiled at him with a nod. "Come on," she said. "Meryn needs to spend some time with his brother." Rayan took the lead, and James drifted further behind them, overtaken by Ava. "I'm glad that went well," she remarked ahead of him. "Let's see if there's anything else to do."

James debated on his chances of retreating from the pair to find a quiet place, but with the amount of Sanctum Elites on the perimeter of temporary fencing, it proved difficult to find an opportunity. His heart crunched at the sight of soldiers with whirring weapons. Dad's not right. He shoved his hands into his pockets, and stopped when Ava eyed him.

"You can't say the whole of the Strike Forces is in on the joke," Ava pointed out.

"I didn't say anything."

"Actually," Rayan's voice rang throughout his ears, and James resisted the urge to slam his hands against them to block out the windswept sound. "My mom was mentioning the same thing — it's why she's barely home these days." Rayan faced him, strong and unwavering. "I will admit that she wasn't nearly as ominous as your dad."

The rest of their walk kept up its silence, and he dared to bridge the rest of the gap between him, Rayan, and Ava of his own creation. Unsettled heat rested on his cheeks and bit at the cold, but he fought for what little enjoyment he found in their trip. "What did your mom say?"

"Same thing your dad did," Rayan replied. "Pirates. Possible First Insurgency movements. I just don't see what Eastpoint has to do with it. We're kind of out in the middle of nowhere, I'd be surprised if this was a potential target." Starlight streamers reflected off the golds as he grinned at him, and James pushed the warmth out of his ears. "I like it... in Odaport, there was always that underlying fear that just maybe, the First Insurgency would attack and start a war on the streets."

James chose a dangly row of streamers to focus on. "Eastpoint must be quaint compared to what you're used to."

Rayan smiled, and the streamers danced with the snowy wind. "Like I said... I like this place better, for, uh..." He rubbed the back of his neck and switched his attention to the trodden path of slush. "Lots of reasons."

"Oh, good. My country bumpkin self is all warm and fuzzy now." James scoffed, then pushed Rayan and closer to Ava, out of his reach, his chance disappearing. "Come on. Let's go find a free ice rink." He went to take the lead, but stopped at Ava's slumped shoulders. "Why are you slouching?"

Ava straightened herself out. "Who said I was?"

James poked her spine. "Your posture."

Instincts kicked into overdrive when she danced her hand straight for the vulnerable spot underneath his ribcage. He leaped before she used her instrument of torture. "No, not letting you do that."