Chapter 37

𝐼'𝓋𝑒 𝓈𝒸𝓇𝑒𝓌𝑒𝒹 𝓊𝓅 𝓉𝑜𝑜 𝒷𝒶𝒹 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓈. 𝐼𝒻 𝐼'𝓂 𝓃𝑜𝓉 𝓁𝒾𝓋𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝒻𝑜𝓇 𝓂𝓎𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻, 𝓌𝒽𝒶𝓉'𝓈 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓅𝑜𝒾𝓃𝓉? 𝐸𝓋𝑒𝓇𝓎𝒹𝒶𝓎, 𝒷𝑒𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝓁𝒾𝒻𝑒'𝓈 𝒷𝒾𝓉𝒸𝒽, 𝒻𝑒𝑒𝓁𝒾𝓃𝑔 𝑒𝓂𝓅𝓉𝓎 𝒾𝓃𝓈𝒾𝒹𝑒 𝓌𝒾𝓉𝒽𝑜𝓊𝓉 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝓊𝒸𝓀 𝓂𝑒 𝒾𝓃 𝒶𝓉 𝓃𝒾𝑔𝒽𝓉, 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝓉𝑜 𝓌𝒽𝒾𝓈𝓅𝑒𝓇 𝓈𝓌𝑒𝑒𝓉 𝓃𝑜𝓉𝒽𝒾𝓃𝑔𝓈 𝓉𝑜, 𝓈𝑜𝓂𝑒𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝐼'𝒹 𝒹𝒾𝑒 𝒻𝑜𝓇. 𝒩𝑜 𝑜𝓃𝑒 𝑒𝓍𝒸𝑒𝓅𝓉 𝓂𝓎𝓈𝑒𝓁𝒻. 𝒯𝒽𝑒 𝑜𝓃𝓁𝓎 𝓅𝑒𝑜𝓅𝓁𝑒 𝒶𝓁𝓁𝑜𝓌𝑒𝒹 𝓉𝑜 𝓉𝑜𝓊𝒸𝒽 𝓂𝑒 𝒶𝓇𝑒 𝒮𝓊𝓂𝓂𝑒𝓇 𝒶𝓃𝒹 𝒦𝑒𝓃𝓏𝒾𝑒.

My heart began to shatter as I read the name so familiarly signed at the bottom.

" 𝒮𝒾𝓃𝒸𝑒𝓇𝑒𝓁𝓎,

Alex "

———

The newly opened central subway intimidates me, packed with restless travelers. Oliver and I are one of the last to bustle underground in order to catch the train.

The train, intended to take us to her funeral.

"Stay close to me," he grumbles. "If I make the train and you don't, I'm not coming back for you."

Rolling my eyes, I place a hand on his left shoulder as we try to part though the stubborn crowd.

I soon realize that I'm attracting many stares. No wonder why.

I'm wearing oversized, hastily buttoned pajamas. The hair in front of my eyes looks matted, and on top of that, I'm barefoot. My eyes are horribly red and puffy from crying.

Talk about a trainwreck.

As the underground train slides its doors open, passengers get off and begin to head in the direction where Oliver and I came from.

Our crowd begins to get onto the train, and Oliver ensures that both of us have a secure spot.

I squint. ...Could that be?

I think I see Luna. But she's hustling away from the train, away from us. Did she just get off?

Wait...

I brush past Oliver and get off the train.

"...Summer!" He calls, but I don't listen. I excitedly part through people, dashing towards her with all of my effort.

When I approach her, I grab her wrist and pull her with me, back towards the train just as the doors begin to close.

"Summer!" Oliver repeats with even more urgency.

I pick up my speed. Come on...

Luna and I make it onto the train as the doors shut behind us.

Her hand feels so cold.

I turn around, aghast as I stare into a pair of
sharp blue eyes.

The color of Luna's, but...

....the woman I'm holding hands with isn't  Luna, but instead someone older.