Glasses (Mark)

The auditorium was starting to fill. Y/N quickly took a seat at the front so that she wouldn't suffer too much because of her bad eyesight. How could she forget her glasses on such an important occasion?

The seats beside her were filled by students from other schools. The boy on her right wore a yellow cardigan, which showed that he was from Seoul School of Performing Arts. Y/N straightened her skirt for the nth time out of nervousness. She ran her eyes across the auditorium, which was now full. It was a vast array of many-coloured uniforms. Students from all over the city had come to participate in this competition.

A young man, who seemed to be around her age, appeared on stage and stood at the podium. "Good morning, students. It is my pleasure to welcome you all to Hangaram High School, where we will be having our annual inter-school competition, organized by our science society, Scientia." The audience burst into applause, Y/N included.

"I am the president of Scientia and the host of this event, Xiao Jun." This led to another round of applause and some cheering. "You all have been assigned a room, where you will receive further instructions and this is also the place from where you will start the Scavenger Hunt, which is the first task of the event." A murmur swept across the crowd. "Please note that the task will start after twenty minutes. Good luck," Xiao Jun stepped away from the podium and the screen in front was lit up by a projector.

It was all blurry. Y/N couldn't read anything off the screen and she squinted hard to make out the words, but it was still futile.

"What's wrong?" The boy in the yellow cardigan next to her asked.

"I forgot to bring my glasses." She gave a dry chuckle.

"You don't use contacts?"

"I did until I lost them."

"Oh, you should've kept an eye on them," he grinned at his own joke, making Y/N chuckle as well. "Should I read the number out for you?" He offered, adjusting his glasses.

"Yeah. The one under Sejong." The boy searched the screen for the high school name.

"You have to be in room 202," he informed her.

"Oh, thank you," she smiled at him. "I don't know how I'll survive the rest of the day."

"Just use your phone's camera," he advised. "I do it when I forget my glasses."

"That's actually a great idea. Thanks," she grinned.

"So, is this your first time?"

"No, I participated last year as well. What about you?"

"This is my first time," he said nervously. "I'm a little edgy about all this," he admitted.

"I was very nervous last year, and I'm nervous this time as well. But trust me, ten minutes into the competition and you'll forget all about your nervousness. Winning would be wonderful but it's more about the experience and having fun that counts."

The boy smiled, "I'll take your word for it. Thanks."

"Not at all," Y/N shook her head.

"So, you're, umm..." he questioned.

As Y/N opened her mouth to tell him her name, someone approached them. "Hey, Mark!" The said boy looked towards the girl calling out his name. She was wearing the same yellow cardigan. "Let's go, the Treasure Hunt will start soon," she motioned for him to come.

"Gotta go," he said looking apologetically towards Y/N before standing up and walking away.

Y/N walked through the halls looking for room 202.

221, 220, 219... She saw someone at the end of the hallway, waving at her. She squinted and saw that it was Felix, her teammate. She ran over to him so that she could get into the classroom.

It was an eventful day. Sejong High school had won two out of the six tasks, but couldn't win the competition as a whole. However, Seoul School of Performing Arts did win. The boy, Mark, ascended the stage with his team to receive the award. He smiled cutely at Y/N, who was sitting in the front row. But due to her poor vision, she couldn't tell if he was smiling at her or someone behind her.

It made her a little dispirited to think that she would never see Mark again.

The next day at school, everything seemed back to normal.

"Hey, Y/N," Haechan said as the two ate lunch. "I just remembered to ask you something."

"What?" Y/N questioned.

"Do you know any cute girl who wears glasses and also participated in the inter-school competition?"

"Yes."

"Really?" Haechan raised his eyebrows. "Who?"

"Me!" Y/N said, indignantly pushing up her glasses. That made Haechan roll his eyes. "Why'd you ask?"

"I have a friend, who was also present at the competition. He said that there's a cute girl from our school, who he talked to and has taken a liking to."

Y/N thought about Jiahn, who was on her team of five students. Could Haechan's friend be talking about her? "What's her name?" Y/N questioned.

"He doesn't know."

"What's your friend's name?" Y/N asked to check whether she'd heard that name.

"Lee Mark." Y/N wasn't expecting to hear that name again. The expression on her face must've given away her thoughts because Haechan asked, "you know him?"

"I talked to him once," she said, running their conversation in her head.

"He must be talking about you, then," Haechan said matter-of-factly.

"Jiahn is also in my team."

"Yeah, but she doesn't wear glasses," Haechan smirked. "It is you."

"It's too big of a coincidence to be true," Y/N shook her head.

"It must be your destiny to end up with him!" He exclaimed. "I'll give Mark your number."

"But what if it's not me? Many schools have similar uniforms, he might've misjudged. It'll be very embarrassing." Y/N didn't believe it, it was too good to be true. But she really did want to see Mark again. He was very cute and gave off a friendly vibe.

"Alright then, let's meet up at the cafe near school today. I won't tell him that I've found the girl he was talking about, if it's really you then he'll say so himself and if it's not, well, we've got nothing to lose."

"Right."

After school, Y/N sat with Haechan at the cafe waiting for Mark. The door opened and Y/N's eyes immediately snapped to the entrance. In came Mark, who must've come directly from school because he was still wearing his uniform. Haechan waved at him and he immediately smiled. His eyes then landed on Y/N and he momentarily stopped in his tracks.

"Hey!" He greeted Y/N brightly. She echoed his smile as she shook his hand. "So, we meet again?"

"Wait, you know Y/N?" Haechan asked him, widening his eyes. Y/N internally winced at his horrible acting.

"Yeah," Mark gave Haechan a knowing look. "We met at the competition at Hangaram."

"Congratulations on your win," Y/N smiled brightly.

"Thank you. Your team did great too."

Y/N had an excellent time at the cafe with Mark. They even exchanged numbers and promised to meet the next day. Haechan later told Y/N that she was indeed the person Mark was talking about. She on the other hand, still couldn't believe her luck. Can such a coincidence truly happen?

xxx

Thanks for reading:)
Who has poor eyesight like me?