Chapter 23

Planet: Eteran

First Insurgency War

AVA

Eastpoint changed with the news Mrs. Falae delivered. Subtle, but no less noticeable. Before, people shouted across the street to catch up or chat. In light of the thinning bubble, most kept to themselves or close friends for safety of the unknown. Soldiers and Elites patrolled the once bustling streets, datapads and weapons close at hand while they examined the architecture of their little town.

The first alarm test changed her darkness into a nightmare. Sirens grated on her ear and tears welled through her throat from the awful, screaming sound. In the morning, the last thing she wanted was to be alone.

Her fist knocked off James' wall in her flail to escape, and he rushed into her room after a minute of wailing. He hugged her while the test ran its course.

"I'm here." He gripped onto her. "Nothing is happening."

I know, but... I can't get the sound out of my head.

Today was the winter dance. Today she made sure to wipe all the stress from her mind. Nothing ruined her fun. Evening hit, and she grabbed her coat to head over to where the dance took place and met with Rayan. Elites stood close as silent guardians, but otherwise never disrupted the fun. Her fear from the morning died with the cheers and laughter of her classmates taking joy in their winter break after grueling school tests.

James sat underneath the decorated branches with his datacam in hand. Dark shadows rested underneath his eyes as he grimaced and held his stomach while classmates skated past him, but she found herself unable to follow the steps of the bubble.

Ava flinched when the megaphone in Katie's hands splurted out white noise. "We're going to shift moods for the next couple songs!" she said. "Please enjoy the fun. Hot chocolate is all ready in the old shed!"

Yiv scoffed from beside her and placed on her clamp skates to trace circles around the ice rink. Ava turned to Rayan, who nodded at something Jon said. Her hand found his arm. "Give me a moment, Ray, and then we can dance."

Ava approached her brother, who lifted his datacam to take a picture. Ava leaned closer to him. "Enjoying yourself?"

"I'm much more suited to being a wallflower compared to you silly dancing people." He tilted around her to take a picture of the skating couples, and Ava frowned when his gaze drifted on Rayan, who cheered with Jon when Yiv zoomed by in rebellion of the slow music.

Ava sat next to him, but frowned at the heatwaves radiating off his shoulders and slicked clamminess on his brow. "Can I ask you something, James?"

"Huh?"

A part of her longed to confront him for his shut out behaviour, but the heaviness forced something past her lips instead. "Do you remember when I said I wanted to be an explorer? That I wanted to document all the places and sights that I see?"

"Yeah, and Meryn was on board with it." James shuffled in place and rested his hand against his stomach with a tight huff. "You better be careful — he's going to start calling you Captain Ranier any day now and never stop." He switched his datacam to a skating couple.

"I... was wondering what you planned to do."

His smile fell, and Ava frowned at his ashen pallor. "What do you mean?"

"If..." Ava stopped herself. "If you're not planning on going to the Pero Flight Academy... it'd be nice if you joined me. If I start this group, would you come?" Her hands wound around his forearm.