Chapter Twenty-Three

"Can we go somewhere to talk?" Liam asked as I was throwing out the paper plate that once held my slice of cake.

"Sure." I agreed, and followed as he led me somewhere quieter.

A minute later we were in the backyard and that's when a thought struck me.

"Who's house is this?" I was wondering where the girls were bringing me on the way here, but once I got here I completely forgot.

Liam sat down on a bench and patted the spot beside him as he replied, "This is Leo's place."

I nodded as I sat down and took the view in. We were in a huge fenced in yard, complete with a pool that had a little waterfall. This whole property is absolutely beautiful. I wasn't surprised that this is where Leo lives. His parents seemed loaded when I met them.

"So what did you want to talk about?" I asked after a moment of silence.

"I just wanted to apologize for how I've been treating you this past week. I was trying to protect you from the awful things Danielle was doing. I should've never dragged you into all of the drama with her in the first place. The whole thing is my fault." Liam answered, his golden eyes dark and conflicted as he spoke.

My heart warmed at the sincerity of his apology. How could I be mad at him when he was just trying to help?

"Thank you. For protecting me, and throwing this party. But I can handle Danielle. What I can't handle is not having you in my life." I told him, surprising myself with how honest I was being. It was so unlike me to tell him that I want him in my life.

He smiled and looked down at his hands, and my eyes followed. He was holding a small black box, similar looking to the one Dad gave me today.

"Staying away was the hardest thing I've done in a long time." He muttered, and then paused for a second before extending the box out to me.

"You really didn't have to get me anything, throwing this party was enough." I hesitated at taking the present.

He raised an eyebrow at me and placed the box in my lap. Silently telling me that I didn't have the option to decline the gift.

I carefully opened it and gasped at the what was inside.

A beautiful golden charm bracelet shone in the moonlight as I gently took it out and got a better look at it.

There was a picnic basket, a motorcycle, a milkshake, and a car all dangling from the small chain.

"This is beautiful." I breathed.

"The charms are to symbolize the picnic we went on, the motorcycle ride, the car chase, and the diner. All pivotal moments in our-" He explained, suddenly stopping halfway through the sentence.

I smiled, not able to take my eyes away from the bracelet. How did I get so lucky today?

"We should head back inside, people might wonder where the birthday girl is. Besides, you still owe me a dance." Liam changed the subject.

I nodded in agreement but stopped him as he was getting up.

"Can you help me put this on?" I asked, holding the bracelet out for him. Bracelet clasps are impossible to do by yourself.

"Of course." He agreed, taking the bracelet and easily securing the clasps together once around my wrist.

"Ready now?" Liam asked, giving me an amused smile when I stayed sitting on the bench.

I quickly got up, not completely knowing why I was still sitting in the first place, "Yeah, let's go."

I started for the door without another word, and heard Liam chuckle after me, which put a smile on my face. I love the sound of his laugh.