*50*

"Twist, Robin Twist."

The name echoes around in my head as if I have just been pulled into a dark tunnel, cold and isolated as the sounds bounce off the walls. 

Twist, Robin Twist. 

Of course, I know who Robin Twist was. The owner and sole CEO of RT Property, one of the most respected in our industry and his company was known not only for their incredible work but their generous philanthropic efforts as well. 

From all the news articles I read at the time, they had wrapped up every project they had when his death was announced and the company had become dormant since, rumours were that his son was set to take over, but was too devastated to continue.

How could I not have put the pieces together? I feel like an idiot but my father was obviously too egotistical to realise Robin's stepson was in front of him as well; too swept up in Harry adoring him.

The reaction to Harry at the Property Gala suddenly makes perfect sense, the reason he was sitting at that table, the shock on Adam's face and how he knew who Harry was.

"Shit," the whispered curse slips out of my mouth and my mind is trying to flashback to any and every interaction I had with people that night.

"Niall," Harry's voice breaks my thoughts. "Is a friend of mine, that's the truth. When I heard he was leading an investigation into the dealings of Patterson & Sons, I jumped at the chance to help. The plan was to get your dad to buy a block of land from me, SWB Realtors doesn't even exist. I hoped I'd be lucky enough to get him to invite me into the office, mentor me a bit so I could snoop around, and it worked! But then..."

"Then you realised you could get to him through me instead," I finish for him and Harry's face winces in pain.

"I didn't know he had a daughter, Lexi. I really didn't. You're never mentioned in articles or in the public records of board members, Alan never speaks about you in the press."

I cringe with the blow of the harsh truth, my father never wanted me in the business, he wasn't proud to call me his own.

"It didn't take me long to realise you were nothing like him, or your slimy brothers. You were honest and hard working, busting your arse day in and day out for that company only to be lead down a dark path simply by association."

"Everyone knew he was dodgy but me, I was too busy trying to get him to love me," I admit to myself and Harry tries to reach across the table for my hand but I pull it away and watch his bottom lip pout when he remembers he can no longer do that.

"Lexi, you're a good person.  No one wants to believe their father is like that."

"No one wants to believe the man they have feelings for would do this either, Harry!" I accuse, rising out of my chair and starting to pace as the explanation fades and the poison of betrayal seeps back in.

Harry is on his feet the moment I am, his hand ruffling through his hair as he starts to beg, "Please, let me finish."

I take a deep breath and cross my arms in impatience, fresh tears starting to pool in my eyes and I want him to leave so that I can sob into my pillow for the next year or so.

"I didn't-" Harry growls in frustration at his inability to gather his thoughts, his hands shaking as he attempts his statement again. "I didn't expect to get along with you so well, to have so much fun with you, to care for you!  At the start, the first couple of meetings it was about getting to your dad, Niall insisted I get to know you better."

I can't help but interrupt him with a scoff, remembering my dad telling me to do the same with Harry.  

"But it turned from business to personal really quickly Lex, too quickly. I didn't know what to do anymore. I couldn't get out, but I didn't want to continue either. I tried to deny it, Lexi. I fucking tried to keep you at arm's length but I couldn't! It was selfish I know, but I wanted to be around you all the time."