Peace...(?)

Despite the Wakandan sun putting up a good fight, it's remnants of light staying well into the evening eventually nightfall won out

Despite the Wakandan sun putting up a good fight, it's remnants of light staying well into the evening eventually nightfall won out. The sky dimming as the hours passed by. The colors transitioning from tangerine to blush pink, and violet before settling into a rich shade of sapphire. But, make no mistake, even at night the sky remained anything but dull. 

For now the stars were out to play, and dance beautifully in canopies of twinkling fire. Each constellation sparkling like you tossed diamonds in the atmosphere. The Milky Way so prominent in the navy backdrop that it looked like someone had taken a brush, and painted it themselves. 

By now the villagers had all retreated inside their little huts, sleep calling them after a long day of farming, and tending to the rich land. From daybreak to dust their job that of preserving the agriculture, and fostering the livestock. 

But, while the welcoming state of slumber had befallen the rest of the village, we didn't want to get some shut eye, on the contrary we were wide awake. 

In the heated orange glow of a bonfire Bucky, and I nestled in the grassy plain together, a blanket wrapped securely around us. 

The moon which hung low in the horizon glistened. The shade of an opalesque white, it's reflection rippling along the lake beside us, the tide flowing like silk as it ebbed along the mossy green shore. 

I was cradled in the nape of Bucky's neck, my head resting against his chest, his one arm wrapped around me, and I felt him kiss my forehead, the scruff of his beard against my skin. 

Absently, his fingers traced circles under my shirt, his hand being drawn to the jagged scar on my abdomen, an affliction caused by a certain two-faced HYDRA leader awhile back. His digits running softly along the mark, and I listened to the sound of his heart beating. 

The sound of crickets chirping was the melody for the night, the hymn of nature resounding across the countryside. The croak of a few lone bullfrogs near the waters edge reverberated off the lakes surface every so often, and swaying in the cool breeze the trees rustled harmoniously together. 

The feeling of calm a foreign entity to us, something we rarely were granted the ability to receive, and it almost didn't feel right. The daunting sense that something would shatter the serenity bit at me, gnawing at my stomach like a burrowing animal. 

The happiness that welled up inside of me so raw, and sweet that it almost hurt to think of this moment fading, and I understood why Bucky was always afraid every time he woke up. He was afraid that when he opened his eyes I wouldn't be there, that everything would just be a dream. 

And, right now, in the stillness, and wrapped up in this beautiful night, I too, felt afraid. But, I wanted my fear to be wrong because although this felt too good to be true I wanted to believe. I wanted to believe that we could finally rest. That maybe, this would be all over.