Chapter 2 (The book of Werewolves)

When I went to bed my mind kept wandering to HorsFord Woods. The unexplored world, that lied past those woods, fascinated me just like it would attract any other human.
How was life beyond that area? How did werewolves look? How was life before the clash happened?

I could answer none of the questions my mind desperately wanted to know. But I knew of something that could calm my inquisitive self.

I knew this sudden rise of curiosity won't let me sleep. So I untucked my blanket and slipped into my sleepers.

I found myself walking towards
the bookshelf in lounge, where I knew I'd find my answers.
There it was. A sudden relief crept over my nerves when I grabbed the 3rd book  in the shelf and dusted off the dirt. The title became visible.

"The book of Werewolves"

I glanced at the clock, hour hand told me it was past 1. I grabbed the book and went into my room. Although there was no one in our family except me and Layla, I was being careful not to make too much noise.

Our parents had died in a car accident when Layla and I were 16 and 14 respectively. Aunt Elizabeth lived with us for 3 years, but life didn't allow her any more. Dad left a good amout in his account so our life was on track. Layla worked as an assistant in a newspaper agency while I was still in college studying literature.

Layla was full of life, everyone loved her. I on the other hand was the biggest pushover ever to walk on the face of Earth, but as long as Layla was with me I was fine. She took care of me, ordered food for me, and helped with my assignments. She was the driving force of my life. I'd stammer even if I had to order in a restuarant but she was confident and always there for me in awkward situations. I couldn't imagine my life without her. Not only that she was my therapist. She was the source of assurance and support for me and helped me improve a little bit. But I was far away from becoming Layla.

                       ***********

I skipped chapters about Werewolf hierarchy, mates, Alpha, Luna etc. Afterall I didn't need this information. Right!

I was interested in the history when Werewolves coexisted with humans so I started reading those chapters. Once I started, I found myself lost in it. Pouring the knowledge in my mind, I lost track of time. I came to know that humans and Werewolves lived together hundred years ago. Humans were considered superior to Werewolves. Werewolves were exploited, plundered, and considered pariah because they were beasts. Humans were prosperous and well- off as compared to Werewolves. Resistance was present in one form or another but humans were powerful and great in number so Werewolves didn't dare to challenge them openly. All of this changed when Alpha Horris claimed Grace. It was very unlikely for a human and Werewolf to be paired. Grace rejected him and that is when things became twisted. Alpha Horris gathered all his warriors and declared a war. Other packs, too, joined him because they were all done with human dominance. Werewolves were powerful and mighty creatures while humans had all the resources and manpower so a sanguinary war was fought causing significant damage to both communities. Only few Werewolf Packs survived after the war ended. According to this book it was all human's fault to which I shrugged my shoulders.

There were a few black and white pictures, sketches, and stills from videos of werewolf sightings. But no one actually knew how they looked like. Werewolves were now a mystery just like bigfoot.

When I lifted my head the clock had hit 3. I held back a yawn. And turned some pages where I found a map. Map indicated and distinguished between human and Werewolf territories. There were a total of 4 Werewolf territories. I closed the book as I was struggling to keep my eyes open. I turned off the lamp and let myself into a deep slumber.

                     ************

Next day was busy. Stella shoved her stuff in her backpack. A pair of extra clothes, sipper, water bottles, torch,
few packets of chips, cans of ready-to-eat food, and a tent was all she needed. She wore a plain black T and her favorite ripped jeans along with messy bun. After having a glance at her reflection in the mirror she was satisfied and left her room.
Layla was ready too and waiting for others. When they heard a familiar horn they locked the house and left. Layla saw John on the driving seat and waved a hello towards him. He smiled and returned the gesture. Harry was already sitting in the back. Layla occupied the front seat while Stella settled herself in the back seat.

Last night's read had stimulated her excitement and she was ready to go.

Ready to face the disastrous event awaiting her.

Picture of Stella:

Here is a picture of Ryan

Here is a picture of Ryan. You will meet him in the next chapter:

                          *************

                          *************