Chapter 10

I opened my eyes but this time I wasn't in the Amity field...I was near a barn that I remember we used to use to store wheat.

I could hear voices coming from inside and peeked around the door. I felt very small again. Inside was two people...one I instantly recognised as Eric's father...the other was a blonde woman. She had her back turned to me and I couldn't see her face but I could hear them clearly.

"What if this doesn't work Frey?" The woman said in a hushed tone.

"It will, we have been testing it on the children for months now...it has to work." He replied.

He took her hand in his and she turned her face. I gasped. Jeanine Matthews...but a much younger Jeanine Matthews...What on earth was she doing there and what the hell were they talking about?!

Eric's dad placed a hand on Jeanine's cheek before speaking again.

"The children have had varying results but we will get it right soon."

"But what if someone finds out about this? What if someone says something about the testing or about the ones that went wrong?" Jeanine seemed worried.

"No one will miss some stupid factionless kids Jean...seriously I thought we discussed this!"

She went quiet and Eric's father pulled her face close to his.

"We will sort this - no one will know!" he said before he pulled her into a kiss.

"ARIA?!" I heard my name being called and turned quickly, but as I did I stepped into view and Eric's dad shot a look over Jeanine's shoulder at me.

"Jeanine...I have to go...I will contact you soon" I heard him say as I ran as fast as I could away from the barn....I was running through the barley fields when I heard a man call my name again.

That was my father...for some reason I knew his voice.

"Papa?!!!" I called back, trying to find him.

I tripped and fell, hearing the rustling behind me.

I knew this was where my dreams usually started from. I could hear Eric's father coming closer and stood up, trying to get away. I ran behind the huge tractor and clambered up the tree as I always had done before hearing the yells of my father being murdered by Eric's father.

I clenched my eyes shut before they sprung open and I dived out of the chair and onto the floor.

I breathed heavily as Four ran to my side, clutching my arms...

"Hey hey...it's ok...you're back...it's fine..." He said, holding me close and kissing my head.

Eric's face was white and he stared at the now blank screen where he would have seen the events of my memories play out.

I looked over to him as Four helped me to my feet.

"Eric..." I suddenly felt a huge pang of sympathy for him as his eyes flicked to me. "It wasn't your fault" I said.

"Not only is my father a murderer...but he also had an affair with Jeanine Matthews!! Whilst my mother was at home caring for me and my newborn sister!!" He was becoming angry.

I pulled away from Four and slowly walked over to Eric, placing my hands on his arms. He looked at me as though I was a stranger before swiftly pulling me into his lap and letting out a sob on my shoulder.

This was a HUGE shock and even Four didn't move or say a thing at Eric's actions. I think the fact that this man was showing emotion and on such a deep level was shocking but also heartbreaking.

I placed my hand on the back of his neck as he held me tightly and sobbed for a good few minutes before coming back down to earth.

"Im sorry.." he mumbled. His gruff voice sounding delicate.

"Don't be..." It was actually Four who replied. He could obviously see that now was not the time for bad blood or jealousy.

"So what do we do with this information?" Four said quietly...

I looked at Four, getting up as I realised I was still sitting on Eric's lap and it was kind of awkward.

"I need to speak to my family." Eric said, his fists clenching.

I nodded and looked at Four who was frowning in thought.

"You need to handle this Eric..." He said finally and Eric nodded at him.

I looked between the two of them but had no idea what to say. I had finally found out the reason why I was being chased all these years in my dreams which actually turn out to be deep surpressed memories! But Eric had seen his father not only murdering my father but also cheating on his mother!

The three of us left the room and walked back towards the pit before we came across the corridor to the apartments. Eric left and said he needed to go back to his.

I didn't blame him.

Four looked at his watch "Half two..." he mumbled. "Wanna grab something to eat?" He asked but I didn't feel much like eating.

"Do you mind if I go check on Eric? I feel really bad...and he seems really cut up. I think because this is kind of to do with me - we need to talk about it."

Four scowled slightly but agreed.

"Ok...but just...be careful with him Ari...he might be just as dangerous as his father." He said worriedly.

I nodded and made my way quickly back down the corridor.

I knocked tentatively on Eric's door and heard a shuffle before he opened the door.

"What do you want?" He asked, his cruel voice back.

"Can we talk?" I asked him gently. He thought for a second then stepped to one side, letting me in. "Are you ok?"

He nodded silently, sitting down on the sofa but added "What do you think?"

I sat beside him, tucking one leg under me. I don't know why but seeing the way he broke down before made me feel a whole lot more at ease with him. Like now he was actually human.

"Eric...I understand this is all...a bit mental. I don't know whether to apologise for showing you what happened or to be mad that your dad killed my dad...I am kind of in limbo myself."

His face softened and he took one of my hands in his. "I know.....I'm sorry - I never even thought how this must be making you feel."

I smiled gently at him...he looked so vulnerable. Not at all like the angry brute he acts like in public. I was so confused about what I should be feeling. We sat in silence for a while, Eric still holding my hand.

He tightened his grip slightly and I looked up at him, his blue eyes glistening before he leant down and planted a gentle kiss on my lips.

I immediately pulled back and looked at him. "Eric....I...I'm kind of with Four..." I mumbled, taking my hand out of his.

He looked away and I swear I saw him blush. "God...I'm sorry...I don't know why I did that...I'm so sorry...don't tell Four."

I stood but nodded. "I wont...don't worry. Just, let me know what you want to do. I am kind of numb so you need to just let me know. I think I best go." I turned for the door and looked over my shoulder as I opened it. Eric's head was in his hands and he didn't say anything.

I left in silence and took a deep breath as I shut the door behind me.

Now what....

Im so sorry this is short again - major writers block. I will try harder promise - thank you so so much to everyone reading. Means alot that people like my work :) xxx